• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Panacur and Rear Guard

clarebear

Mama Doe
Just wondered who worms and rear guards their bunnies?

Bungee was wormed when I collected her, and I have donw Bramble for the first time this year.

The vet has given me rear guard, but I know this is going to be tricky to apply and so have been putting it off. Our Bunnies get bum checks everyday, but feel I should be doing this too.

I don't do either.

I was under the impression that Panacur was only effective as a 28 day treatment as oppose to a 7 day prevention.

Also, that rearguard is useless and so long as the buns are in a clean environment and clean themselves and have regular bum checks then it's not needed.

That's what I though the general advice was.

I only use them if there is a need. I dislike doing things like that to them unnecessarily.

I don't do either.

I was under the impression that Panacur was only effective as a 28 day treatment as oppose to a 7 day prevention.

Also, that rearguard is useless and so long as the buns are in a clean environment and clean themselves and have regular bum checks then it's not needed.

That's what I though the general advice was.

I thought Panacur lasted 6 months? I'd never wormed Bramble before, only really did it because they recommended it at the vets and because Bungee was done when I collected her.

I don't really know anything about rearguard, but was concerned about it putting them off their food.........

It's all so confusing! :?

I only use them if there is a need. I dislike doing things like that to them unnecessarily.

That's what I've always thought with Bramble too. He hates being handled so it always seemed cruel. I just don't know what to do now.

I joined a 'Health Club' at the vets, but maybe I can opt out of it again. It's meant to save you money, but if I'm not going to use the stuff it seems pretty pointless!

If it's in their best interests, then even if a bunny doesn't like being handled, it has to be done, you just have to work out if you think it's in their best interests.

To me not enough research has been done on Panacur to know what the long term effects are. Some places say it has an effect on bone marrow. I don't believe it is effective for genuinely active EC and it doesn't bother me if mine are carriers because the majority are. I use it to treat against worms if I see them. I also tend to use basil leaves to give it on so I don't have to pick them up and squirt it into their mouths.

Rearguard I would only use on at 'at risk' bunny. If the bunny is at risk and you put it on and it goes off it's food then you can likely tempt it round but you did whatever you did because it was best for the bunny.

If it's in their best interests, then even if a bunny doesn't like being handled, it has to be done, you just have to work out if you think it's in their best interests.

To me not enough research has been done on Panacur to know what the long term effects are. Some places say it has an effect on bone marrow. I don't believe it is effective for genuinely active EC and it doesn't bother me if mine are carriers because the majority are. I use it to treat against worms if I see them. I also tend to use basil leaves to give it on so I don't have to pick them up and squirt it into their mouths.

Rearguard I would only use on at 'at risk' bunny. If the bunny is at risk and you put it on and it goes off it's food then you can likely tempt it round but you did whatever you did because it was best for the bunny.

Thank you for your advice :wave: Much appreciated.

Back