• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lionhead grooming

Thunders_Mum

Mama Doe
I wasn`t sure where to post this as I cudn`t see a forum for grooming :shock:

Anyway,

I groom my lionhead bunny everyday with a slicker brush (the one from pets at home) but no matter how much I groom her she still has loads of matts and knots in her fur, especially when she grooms herself (which she does right after I groom her and she grooms alot) when I first got her she only had a few matts, so I cut them off carefully with nail scissors, but now its getting out of control, she always looks so messy and uncared for (when she is) also she really doesn`t like me grooming her and lately has starting nipping me and running away. Any suggestions?

Maybe you could phone a vet in the morning and see if they would clip her for you?

Well shes going to the vets on friday for her vhd jab, so I could ask then. Was just wondering what everyone else successfully did, as cant keep taking her to the vets everyday with her matts :?

Oh ok, I get it now. Don`t suppose you know how long this takes and how much it usually costs? Would defo save me alot of time and stress for both me and the bun

No idea, sorry. They might be able to show you how to do it yourself at home.

You need to get right down to skin level to keep out the tangles. Brushing the top layer makes them look fluffy but doesn't really do the job (as you have found out). I use a metal toothed dog comb for all my furries (rabbits and cats - all long haired). Work gently but thoroughly from one 'corner' to the opposite end, from the roots and a section at a time. Don't forget the armpits and 'trousers' where the fur rubs when walking so tends to get knottier.

Once a week should be enough once the tangles are all out, unless they are going through a major moult. Takes 5 mins and much cheaper than vet - although clipping to get on top of it can be really useful.

I've personally always found a slicker brush to be absolutely useless in everything rabbit. I tend to only use metal pinned combs and I've also used a comb that had pins that rotated and that was just awesome.

Maybe get her all sorted at the vets and then look to get some different tools?

I have Albert whos a lionhead, I use the furminater for grooming him, its fab!

i give him a trim every now and again, mainly just his face, so he can see lol x

Anyone got any links to any combs/brushes so I know what Im looking at? I usually groom under her fur which gets the worse then on top, but lately her fur just looks horrid and messy, Im not sure if it down to her new pellets? Shes been on excel junior for a week or so and seems completely addicted to them :shock:

I also use combs and a furminator. I only use the furminator on my long haired Smudge and then the combs on all but the other three don't need grooming very often.

I shouldnt think it's the pellets. Smudge was the same when he was younger, his fur was mad, as he grew it started to sort itself out more.

I fostered a knotty lionhead and the only thing I could get through his fuzzy fur was a 40p human comb from wilkinsons (last resort after forking out for all sorts of animal brushes and combs that wouldn't do the job properly) :roll::lol:

My lionhead X hates being brushed. I do what i can (usually while chasing him around the garden). Twice a year he will go to the vets for his jabs (actually it's more like 3 times but they ony check for knots twice). If he's got any mats then, they will use the clippers to get them off but last time he went he was fine - it's really only when he has a big moult going on that he needs it.

I do trim his mane and his moulty skirt thing he gets and that helps to keep on top of it - however, in winter, i am reluctant to trim him unless it's close to his ears etc.

You need to get right down to skin level to keep out the tangles. Brushing the top layer makes them look fluffy but doesn't really do the job (as you have found out). I use a metal toothed dog comb for all my furries (rabbits and cats - all long haired). Work gently but thoroughly from one 'corner' to the opposite end, from the roots and a section at a time. Don't forget the armpits and 'trousers' where the fur rubs when walking so tends to get knottier.

Once a week should be enough once the tangles are all out, unless they are going through a major moult. Takes 5 mins and much cheaper than vet - although clipping to get on top of it can be really useful.

This ^ - a metal comb is what you need x

I use a double sided comb like this:

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/doub...cm_re=barilliance-_-up sell-_-product details

You may find a single sided medium spaced metal dog comb easier:

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/medium-tooth-comb-by-pets-at-home-28345

The double sided tend to get tangled on the side you are not using in really long fur. The medium side is for everyday grooming; the wide spaced side is useful for bits that are starting to get matted.

Don't get a fine spaced tooth comb - they are hard work for normal grooming - really only meant for flea removal.

They are available cheaper elsewhere (Ebay, etc).

Back