• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

thoughts on rabbit harnesses? good idea or not?

lisadunn

New Kit
im in the process of getting materials together to make a rabbit run but would like the bunny to be able to get out in garden to nibble grass and stretch her legs etc in a controlled way tho.
Garden is too big for free roaming, would never catch her again I think:roll:

So was thinking of a rabbit harness attached to a long lead or a small dog flexi lead?

Ive seen 2 types of harnesses, dont know which one is best tho? a fabric one that stretches over the body or a cheaper nylon one?

any advice on them and using them? :)

Generally they're not a good idea.

Very few rabbits react well to them and if your rabbit doesn't like it they can seriously injure themselves

It's not really safe unless you're with them at all times. A run is much better. My rabbit Jasper (rip :( ) loved his and would binky in it but he didn't have all his exercise in his. Just if I felt he wasn't in a secure area. :wave:

Not all rabbits take to a harness, and even then they can prefer different harnesses!

Benjamin wears a harness to go out of the house; to the vets/in the garden. He wears either a H-type harness or a figure 8-type. I do have a body slip-type one, but Ben HATES it! He was very upset when I put it on him, more so than the first time he wore his H-type.

If you want to use a long lead on a harness consider getting a lung rein for horses or a long line training lead for dogs. These work better than a flexilead, which can sometimes "snap" back on the rabbit. I use a mixture of leads depending upon circumstances. Ben is heavy enough that the smallest (cat size), flexi lead doesn't have any "snap" effect, if suddenly reeled in.

Its up to you in the end. Some will wear them, some wont. Some people use them, some people don't.

In the end its between yourself and your rabbit to find out what works best for you both.

I would worry about a rabbit building up any speed on a lead, if it runs out or gets caught they will be jerked back violently, and bunnies' bones break so easily, they can break their own back just by struggling.

a mixture of opinions!:p
I think for all the harnesses cost, it may be worth a try, i never even thought of using it for vets etc

I know in her previous home the kids used to dress her up:roll: which the mum says the rabbit loved:shock: I dunno to be honest

If shes used to things on her body she may take to a harness ok, only thing to do is try i suppose;)

My rabbit hated it at first but then I tred it again a month later and she ust sat there I caried her outside and she started running around o I think it's a good idea if you don't want to spend the costs on a rabbit run :wave:

Yes I hold the lead and sometimes I just keep the lead on and let her run around with it on so if she starts to run off or finds a way out I can grab the lead :D

Yes but you grab the lead, she's stops abruptly, that's a lot of force on a little rabbit.

Yes but you grab the lead, she's stops abruptly, that's a lot of force on a little rabbit.

No not abrubtely she never runs around that much just jogs and mostly just hops along at breakneck speed :roll: (joke) More like snail speed :lol:

i will be building her a run, this is a stop gap thing to get her out of the hutch until its built so she can get some exercise. she may try and take off when i put her down on grass, will need to be careful with her, dont want her to get hurt:oops:

My first rabbit would let me put a harness on her and she walked really well on it, but she only ever had it if she was being lazy and just walking about, as soon as she wanted to play and run, then i took it of her just in case. I havent tried it on any of my others, except Digit and he wasnt keen, so he has only wore it onces for about 2 mins lol

Two of my bunnies are Harness trained. But I would ver leave them unattended with it on !!
I also dont use the harness as the rabbits only time for excercise. I run would be much more practical and safer. :wave:

DO rabbits wear harnesses in the wild?

No.

So should they then wear them as domestics?

No.

Would never leave a rabbit unattended with a harness on.
Our giant rabbit bit through the lead in about 10 seconds, I was only about 10 foot way gardening.
Also they are at risk from any predators entering the garden.

Back