• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

We just dont understand

Andy Waller

Young Bun
We just dont understand we have been bonding our 2 boys over the past 2 weeks and all was going well or so we thought! The last scuffle they had was a week ago on saturday, this saturday being the 6th we took the boys to get their myxi jabs and we brought them home as they have been at my parents previously. Before we got them home we cleaned the whole areas that they were going to have their new pen in with vinegar! the house spelt like a fish and chip shop!!! they did so well over the weekend they were grooming each other and generally just got along however we did notice that their bond hadnt been as strong as what it was at my parents but they were doing ok. Today we left them for the whole day we left the radio on and called the house phone several times over the course of the day just to shake them alittle so they didnt know what to expect! We got home and there had been no fur flown however tonight they had a little doo! it started with pancakes grooming smudge like they have done then smudge hopped away and pancakes followed smelling smudges backside then the fur started to come away. We have taken them out in the car and have cleaned a new area for them with vinegar yet again and put them in a smaller pen.

Is there any advice out there that can help us get our heads around our buns and give us advice on what we need to do should we perserve with the bonding or just call it a day?

Much appreciated

2 owners that just want theirs buns to be happy and get along

The trouble with boys is that they feel the need to stake a claim over any new space...just to make sure the rules haven't changed. You've just given them new (even though neutral) territory. So expect to go back a few stages whilst they double check who is boss over this space. If you keep making the area new again, they'll keep having to re-establish the rules.

With a pairing of two boys you need to be particularly careful any time you give them access to a new area because of this. If things have been going well, then hopefully they'll settle back down again.

I take it they are both neutered?

Hi Andy. Sorry you're having problems with bonding. :( It's not my area of expertise I'm afraid but I'm sure someone will be along soon who can help.

Are both the boys neutered? It's absolutely imperative that they are, and you wait 6 weeks post-op before trying to bond them. If this has been done already it might be helpful to have a rescue centre take them on to do the bonding for you. They will have plenty of experience in bonding and know all the tricks - the fact that the area will be entirely 100% neutral will help too.

I have heard that it can help to put both rabbits in a carrier together and take them on a car journey. The stress of it will 'unite' them. I've never tried it myself though so I'm not sure how reliable it is. Good luck anyway!

Hi thanks for the help. They are both neutered brothers. Had another spat today. Not too much fur but I am worried that one of them may really injure the other.

Not sure when enough is enough really as we have been trying for 3 weeks now. Everything is going ok and then they have a punch up. Not increased the size of their pen either :(

Maybe increasing the space is what they need, sometimes after a while of small space they need to burn off some energy.

The time it takes to bond varies on each bun. some take to their partner straight away & for others it can take several weeks.

My last pair took 3 weeks & they're male/female supposedly easier to bond than 2 of the same sex.

2 weeks in neutral territory 1 of which I slept on the floor beside them being woken through the night with them scuffling. Week 2 they were getting on well so week 3 I moved them into the front room, where I have another 2 pairs. The scuffling started again & I had to distract them whenever it started

You may have to stay at home with them for a few days until they settle down but dont keep cleaning their territory as it needs to smell of them & try leaving their litter trays alone as well. Cleaning will stress them out because it needs to smell of both of them.

Keep at it cos its worth it

Ah cool! That may be where we have been going wrong. Been clearing out their litter tray. Not handled them too much bar check the cuts etc.

I'm staying up with the terrors tonight. Both asleep at the moment. Little toads!

Cheers,

Andy and Sarah

Back