• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vaccinations? and handling?

minilops79

Warren Scout
I have had Fudge and Snowball a week now and was wondering when I should take the to the vets for vaccinations? They are 9 and 11 weeks old. Also should I be getting the used to being handled? We havnt picked them up yet but they are really friendly and will sit and be stroked and climb over you when you are sitting with the but if I go to pick them up they are very wriggly and not impressed so I leave them be!

Yes, you can take them to get their vaccinations now, and with it being myxi season now I would book them in asap :)

As for picking them up, get them used to a quick bum-check every day, but in general bunnies dont like to be picked up. The only thing that would pick them up in the wild is a predator, so its natural that they feel safer on the ground. Even if you did get them used to being picked up and cuddled, they'd probably only tolerate it and not enjoy it, judging by their reactions now, so I'd stick to cuddles on the floor :)

I lie or sit down to have cuddles with my Barney, and he comes and shoves his nose into my face for kisses :love: Annabella doesnt really like being touched, so I respect that and stick to talking to her and letting her sniff me or climb over me. Its all about learning what your bunnies are comfortable with, and what they want from you.

Yes they are both girls, Origianally was told that Fudge was a boy but a few days before we got them were told they are both girls :)

How do I do bum checks? Do I need to pick them up for this? I have tried to check when they are lying down and i gently lift there tails and they look clean, but not been able to do a proper check as I am a bit unsure how to pick them up as they are very squirmy as soon as you go to lift them!

Last edited:
I'm sure everyone does it differently depending on their rabbits, with Barney I put one hand under his chest and one under the bum, then lift him, with his back against my chest. I raise his bum higher and sort of bend my head over him so I can see his bum, I check its not got any flies or poo or wee on it, then put him down. The whole thing takes about 30 seconds, very quick, as he doesnt like being picked up. At first he hated it but now he knows he'll be back on the floor very soon so lets me.

Annabelle however hates being touched. I dont know why, but shes quite happy around me, but if I touch her she runs off, unless I bribe her with food, then sometimes she tolerates a quick stroke. What I am doing with her is training her to periscope (stand on her back legs) on command. At the moment she does it for treats. This allows me to do a quick check without touching her, however it is nowhere near as good as a full bum check, so I do worry about her. I also have her bum hair trimmed and use fly guard as an extra precaution.

This video explains why to do bum checks, and shows you a very long version of one. Obviously the man is showing the camera, not himself, so its not quite the same as when you would do it, but gives you the idea.

The main thing to remember when you do bum checks, is that you have to not tip them back so far to trance them, as this is a state of terror for bunnies and they will lose confidence in you and see you as a threat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FC2TVwgJxo

Oh and minilops, get them to the vet asap and have their gender checked, just to be on the safe side. You can get it checked when you go to get their vaccs done.

I pick up Bramble and Bungee in the same way. One hand under their chest and the other under their bums! I hold them like a baby and quickly check their bottoms....then quickly back down again. They are very wriggly to get hold of, but once I have them they are fine.

Back