• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much does it cost per month to look after 2 rabbits?

Alicia

Mama Doe
I have 2 rabbits but I don't keep track of what I spend on them per month, and I think I'm going to start, because I'd like to keep track of what I earn and what I spend.
How much do 2 rabbits roughly cost per month? I just want to know so I can compare it to how much I spend on my 2 rabbits, I know it can vary between rabbits. :)

My four cost me £10 a month at the least. Sometimes it's more if I buy them a treat or in winter when I have to buy greens but in summer when I can forage for greens then I can cut it right down to that £10 which pays for hay and pellets.

food is foraged or home grown (summer only) = 0

newspaper from the mother in law = 0

hay bale bought last month @ £6.50

pellets bought about a month ago, oh no tell a lie I bought some bunny brunch the other week @ £2.50

insurance £22.86

thats about it for the last month.

Is it ok to buy loads of bags of food and just keep them in the shed? Sorry if its a stupid question, but they wouldn't go bad or anything, would they? And I was going to buy a bale of hay, which is £8 here so its cheaper than bags, but would that be ok in the shed too or would it need to be covered with something?

Is it ok to buy loads of bags of food and just keep them in the shed? Sorry if its a stupid question, but they wouldn't go bad or anything, would they? And I was going to buy a bale of hay, which is £8 here so its cheaper than bags, but would that be ok in the shed too or would it need to be covered with something?

I usually buy a 10kg bag of pellets and keep it in the shed double bagged and sealed. It's been fine. I also buy hay in bales and keep that in the shed. Just watch for dampness with the hay though :)

Incidentally if you find a good place for bales, pls let me know! I got my last one from Frosbury Farm in Guildford (recommended by Jack's Jane), and it is lovely. I'm always interested in new places though :)

£20 - insurance
£10 - pellets/hay/litter
£10 - veggies

Probably about £40 a month but this may vary a little up and down.

i think its only A&P that goes off within a few months as it dosent have loads of the usual preservatives in it :wave:

my hay is in the shed in a duvet cover and so far hasnt gone bad :D

£16.19 insurance
£10 ish on hay
£6 on megazorb (a £12 bag lasts me two months)
£12-15 on herbs/veg etc
£5-10 ish on pellet food and fenugreek treats
misc amounts on toys :oops:

Excel tends to have about a year shelf life, and 10kg lasts me nearly a year.

Erm, its hard to say what I spend, I try to stick to £50 a month but rarely succeed.

A typical month would be:
Insurance - £18
hay for pets timothy and rye 9.5kg - £15
oat hay - £4
Pellets - maybe £2?
Megazorb lasts about a month & 3 weeks, so £8?
Toys - £6
Veg - £10
Treats - £4
Apple/Willow Sticks - £10

so £77 :shock:

And then add anything from £15-150 for vets :roll:

how do you all manage to spend so little :shock:

we spend £200-250 a month!! but £150 of that is their meds costs each month - parvolex, hypertonic saline, gentamicin, metacam, syringes

they can't tolerate any veg so we buy loads of herb plants (tried growing them but didn't work) and they're sooo expensive.

i go through 1x ings hay 9.5kg and 2x soft meadow hay 9.5kg every four weeks (for buns and piggies) - i have to buy good quality hay because of bisc and matts respiratory problems.

because they don't have much of a veg selection i also buy dried herbs and also probiotics aswell.

and other things like natural foods off the forum, megazorb, cleaning spray etc. i'm sure there are other things aswell.

i've cut down aswell and this is the minimum really. :shock:

we spend £200-250 a month!! but £150 of that is their meds costs each month - parvolex, hypertonic saline, gentamicin, metacam, syringes

they can't tolerate any veg so we buy loads of herb plants (tried growing them but didn't work) and they're sooo expensive.

i go through 1x ings hay 9.5kg and 2x soft meadow hay 9.5kg every four weeks (for buns and piggies) - i have to buy good quality hay because of bisc and matts respiratory problems.

because they don't have much of a veg selection i also buy dried herbs and also probiotics aswell.

and other things like natural foods off the forum, megazorb, cleaning spray etc. i'm sure there are other things aswell.

look at mine and you will feel better :lol: thats before vet bills, I expect to spend around £300 this month.

I dont get how people spend so little either! I tried using newspaper for litter trays and it cost more because I had to buy the papers and Barney wees like a race-horse!

look at mine and you will feel better :lol: thats before vet bills, I expect to spend around £300 this month.

I dont get how people spend so little either! I tried using newspaper for litter trays and it cost more because I had to buy the papers and Barney wees like a race-horse!

I have a friend who lives in London and gets the free newspapers for me ;)

I've just tried to work it out, and soon I will be able to buy from the internet which I'm hoping will make it cheaper, so I've looked online to try and find cheaper prices for food and things like that.
I got £23.15 a month, but I'd round that up to £30 to include saving money for vet bills. I didn't include the price of vegetables and herbs in that because my mum buys vegetables for the rabbits and I grow herbs so I don't buy them.
That's cheaper than I thought, I haven't looked around much, I may even be able to get things cheaper.

Out of that £23, hay was £9, I'm going to start buying it in bales because my rabbits and guinea-pigs eat so much of it, and hopefully it will save money because at the moment I have to buy small bags from the pet shop, which cost £2 each and they finish a bag every 3 days.

Do you have any little shops near you that sell veggies outside - not a greengrocers, but one of those little shops that is like a mini-supermarket? I have one near work where I can get a massive bunch of coriander for 50p - would probably cost nearer £5 in tesco for the same amount. Might be worth hving a look around?

For my two buns:

Insurance £20
Hay £15
Litter £18
Veggies £30 (varies since I grow a lot in the summer, forage and sometimes get free stuff from my greengrocer)
Savings for vaccinations £10 (I put a little away each month so there's no dent in finances when the vacs are due)
I don't feed dry food but I do usually get a bags of dried forage and herbs for treats so say £5
And of course there's the odd emergency repair on phone chargers/remote controls/shoes etc!

So we're looking at about £100 a month.

Back