• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do any of you worry...

rachylou

Warren Veteran
about treading on feathers or bird poo then walking in to where your buns are?

Was going to start a poll but dont seem to be able to?! :?

No, unless I have been by the lakes where there is ten tons of goose poop and then I wouldn't walk any where in my shoes when I got home not just by bunnies :lol:

No, but we don't have VHD/myxi here.

All teh same, bird poop isn't really dirty. I step in it all the time :D

nope! Rolo 'caught' a bird once, well he chased it and cornerd it and came nose to beak with it :roll:

definetly nothing to worry about! their all 'wild' animals their designed to mix :) x

the buns are vaccinated so I don't worry at all; even if they weren't vaccinated that wouldn't be on the top of my worry list.
I know it's easier said than done in your situation but you really don't need to get stressed about it. :)

All teh same, bird poop isn't really dirty. I step in it all the time :D
how can you say that?! it's poo. :shock: One thing I do not miss about free range chickens is the garden being absolutely disgusting :lol:

They have immune systems, so really don't need to be in sterile conditions. Easier said than done, but please try not to worry so much.

the buns are vaccinated so I don't worry at all; even if they weren't vaccinated that wouldn't be on the top of my worry list.
I know it's easier said than done in your situation but you really don't need to get stressed about it. :)

how can you say that?! it's poo. :shock: One thing I do not miss about free range chickens is the garden being absolutely disgusting :lol:

Maybe I'm descentized (sp?) :lol: it just doesn't really bother me anyone. I clean up duck poop all day, sometimes with bare hands, and my yard gets lots of wild ducks and other birds and so I'm sure I step in it when I don't even know it. I don't think it has many germs, like rabbit poop.

If its any consolation, Rachy, my rabbit Izzy used to live with my indoor ducks and he never got sick :)

It just worries me because when I had 'one of many' conversations about VHD with my vet and he said that Jimby and Cookie are low risk and one of the reasons being that they are indoors therefor not in contact with other animals such as birds and their poop.
Cause today when I was out, I saw a big glop of green/black bird poop with a disgusting feather smoooched in to it and I think my trouser leg brushed it because they were sooo long.
Is there any risk here?

It just worries me because when I had 'one of many' conversations about VHD with my vet and he said that Jimby and Cookie are low risk and one of the reasons being that they are indoors therefor not in contact with other animals such as birds and their poop.
Cause today when I was out, I saw a big glop of green/black bird poop with a disgusting feather smoooched in to it and I think my trouser leg brushed it because they were sooo long.
Is there any risk here?

No.

Your bunnies are vaccinated, there's nothing to worry about!:)

No.

Your bunnies are vaccinated, there's nothing to worry about!:)

I did spray my shoes and toes and trouser legs... and the foot well of the car with my Method spray which I keep in the car, then when I got in to the house I took my shoes off and then took my trousers off too and then I had a bath before I went in to the bunnies so that should eradicate any potential risk shouldnt it?!

But then my OCD keeps saying to me that I may have missed the bit of trouser that did touch it and then it may have touched my feet which then have walked through the house and then in to the bunnies room!! :shock: :cry:

It wouldn't bother me in terms of VHD. It would bother me in terms of the eeeeeeeeeeeew factor of walking in bird poo. Ew ew ew.

I did spray my shoes and toes and trouser legs... and the foot well of the car with my Method spray which I keep in the car, then when I got in to the house I took my shoes off and then took my trousers off too and then I had a bath before I went in to the bunnies so that should eradicate any potential risk shouldnt it?!

But then my OCD keeps saying to me that I may have missed the bit of trouser that did touch it and then it may have touched my feet which then have walked through the house and then in to the bunnies room!! :shock: :cry:

Fight back your OCD and tell it it is lying and that you know better.

Is it VHD you are worrying about transferring from the bird poo or diseases in general?

Your buns are at no risk at all of catching VHD, indoors, outdoors, whatever else because they are vaccinated.

The chance of passing any other disease is absolutely minimal .. back to the: how much did you get on your trousers? how much came off as you walked home? Did the bird have any nasty diseases anyway... if they did could a rabbit even catch them? The risk is next to zero by the time all the what ifs have been ruled out.

Is it VHD you are worrying about transferring from the bird poo or diseases in general?

Your buns are at no risk at all of catching VHD, indoors, outdoors, whatever else because they are vaccinated.

The chance of passing any other disease is absolutely minimal .. back to the: how much did you get on your trousers? how much came off as you walked home? Did the bird have any nasty diseases anyway... if they did could a rabbit even catch them? The risk is next to zero by the time all the what ifs have been ruled out.

It is the VHD factor that I am worried about, only because I know that no vaccine is 100% effective. :(

It is the VHD factor that I am worried about, only because I know that no vaccine is 100% effective. :(

VHD is 100% effective.

Myxi isn't but its a small chance and its likely the buns would recover if they were vaccinated.

The OCD is tricking you, not us.:wave: the buns are fine and you haven't taken anything bad into the buns.

But that is the trouble with OCD it keeps moving the boundaries. The "what ifs" keep rearing their ugly heads and you can never believe that the precautions you have taken have been enough.

But, that's it, the OCD talking, it's not fact and you are risking your rabbits in any way.

Louie goes out in the garden and we have lots of birds out there. He is fine and your rabbits are fine too.

But that is the trouble with OCD it keeps moving the boundaries. The "what ifs" keep rearing their ugly heads and you can never believe that the precautions you have taken have been enough.

But, that's it, the OCD talking, it's not fact and you are risking your rabbits in any way.

Louie goes out in the garden and we have lots of birds out there. He is fine and your rabbits are fine too.

That is EXACTLY right!! Couldnt have put it better myself!!

It just worries me because my vet said to me that 'no vaccine is ever 100%. in this line of work we can never talk in absolutes, so yes theroretically a vaccinated rabbit can still contract VHD but the likelyhood is minute'

Back