• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A New Dental Bunny

TinkPig

Warren Scout
My Jasper has officially become a dental bunny today, and will have his spurs burred for the first time in a week or so. Luckily they were caught early and there is no soft tissue damage yet.
I was hoping that those who have or have had dental buns would be able to give me some advice on things that I will be able to do to both make his recovery after the op as comfortable as possible but also any advice on extra care, changes to diet and so on that will help him in the long term.
At the moment he is fed on burgess, a fair amount of veg and a bucket load of hay which he adores, but any changes that folks could suggest would be most welcome.

Hay hay and more hay.

However, sometimes, nothing you can do will improve it, as some buns just don't have jaws that line up etc.

My Gingerbun has teeth at the back that don't meet at the back, as her jaw doesnt completely close, but just be aware of that.

Thanks, I am guessing they will have a better idea of the cause after they have put him under as he was a bit factious with the scope today! But thanks for the swift response, just want to do whatever I can to keep him a happy little man.

Thanks, I am guessing they will have a better idea of the cause after they have put him under as he was a bit factious with the scope today! But thanks for the swift response, just want to do whatever I can to keep him a happy little man.

It's possible, that without a full skull xray you won't be able to tell, but take it one thing at a time :) Well done for noticing and being proactive :D

I have 13 dental bunnies here and the times between dentals all vary depending on the nature of what is causing it. Also, with some adjustment we have found we can stretch the time in between as well. For example, When Dusk was a lone bunny he would need them every 14 weeks, now with a wifey he hasn't had one for 18 months and counting. Wish was at every 10 weeks and last time went 4 and a half months, which was amazing given her mouth is the messiest of all of them.

Mine get the most minimal amount of pellets ever (like two-four SS pellets a day) and the rest is hay with some fresh stuff given sporadically. I've found this has brought the gaps apart a lot and things ar emore under control.

What I do find is that a bad batch of hay can mean I have 5+ bunnies needing a dental shortly after so quality of hay is super important.

I buy baled hay because we get through so much and that worked brilliantly because of the different sizes of hay, stalks and additional bits you get.

You would be looking for hay that smells sweet and fresh. Not dusty, not musty, obviously not mouldy either. Smell is a really good indicator.

By sight you're looking for green hay, but some green hays can be dusty.

If you pick it up and it's really heavy it's likely (although not guaranteed) to be dusty or damp- both of which is not ok.

But yes, if you buy baled hay, then plunge your nose into it to get an idea of whether or not it is decent hay.

sounds to me like you are doing everything fine already. :wave:

i have a dental bunny - Barney.

If your bunny eats hay then you are off to a good start as Barney only eats it when it is mixed in with other stuff and disguised! Feed minimal pellets and give unlimited hay and yes get baled hay if you can it is much better, and cheaper!

Barney needs his front teeth trimming every month approx (sometimes they break off which prolongs the gaps), but has only needed the back ones doing twice (he is 14 months old).

I think the best advice is to keep a close eye on them and observe for any changes in eating habits.

My Leo has just become a dental bunny at 14!

He had his teeth burred and the back ones clipped last week - vet reckons it will need to be a 6 weekly thing now for the rest of his life. Luckily for Leo and my wallet it's £16 a time - as the vet will do the dentals with no sedation.

Leo does have a few really tiny abcesses - if these cause problems that will no doubt alter treatment and costs.

I also found out this week my one guinea is now a dental one at the age of 6 so have 2 elderly furries to look after and take for dentals!

I use large bags of hay and have some Timothy hay too to mix in, once the garage is a bit clearer I want to buy a bale.

Back