• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wild rabbit x Domestic rabbit

I've seen the products of it.

Most beautiful bunnies but torchered in that they are neither domestic nor wild but both domestic and wild. Takes a very special owner to look after them successfully.

I've seen the products of it.

Most beautiful bunnies but torchered in that they are neither domestic nor wild but both domestic and wild. Takes a very special owner to look after them successfully.

Thanks.. did they turn out more wild in appearance or domestic?

They always look like wildies. Always. Seen a lot of wildie crosses and they always looks like a wild rabbit.

Why are you asking?

Has this happened to one of your bunnies? Ae you hoping to mate your domestic with a wild?

They always look like wildies. Always. Seen a lot of wildie crosses and they always looks like a wild rabbit.

Why are you asking?

Has this happened to one of your bunnies? Ae you hoping to mate your domestic with a wild?

No I wouldnt intentionally try this mating but I do have two injured young wild rabbits . and i just wondered what the cross would look like? any photos of the hybrids?

Why do you have those bunnies? Are they coping ok in captivity?

This is a link I posted of 6 week had. They are three different pairs from three different litters (we had several others that had already been rehomed by this point). There are subtle differences between them, but they all look 'wild'.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showpost.php?p=3668327&postcount=12

I'm glad you're not going to mate them because it would be irresponsible to do so :) If you keep them they can be neutered the same way that domestics can be.

Why do you have those bunnies? Are they coping ok in captivity?

This is a link I posted of 6 week had. They are three different pairs from three different litters (we had several others that had already been rehomed by this point). There are subtle differences between them, but they all look 'wild'.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showpost.php?p=3668327&postcount=12

I'm glad you're not going to mate them because it would be irresponsible to do so :) If you keep them they can be neutered the same way that domestics can be.

Many thanks for the help and advice... my 2 wilds were injured when I found them . they were young but weaned. one a few weeks older than the other.. They are doing great grazing lots of grass. I built them an artifical burrow and they seem content enough. I have them 5 weeks now they still bolt for the burrow when I go out once a day to move their enclosure to fresh grazing but as soon as I go back in the house they are out for the fresh grass.. problem is one is male and one is female.

I should ask, are you intending on releasing them when they are recovered or keeping them, as this will affect the answers given.

I should ask, are you intending on releasing them when they are recovered or keeping them, as this will affect the answers given.

:thumb:

If you're going to keep them then spaying and neutering is the way forwards. Sounds like that could be an awesome solution.

If you're going to release them I'd suggest contacting a wildlife rehabilitator if you have one around and talking to them for their advice.

I can see why. They will be kept in a large enclosure when they get older but will never be fully released. as I know they wouldnt last long. I am worried about the trip to the vet to neuter them as the trauma could be too much for them.

No I wouldnt intentionally try this mating but I do have two injured young wild rabbits . and i just wondered what the cross would look like? any photos of the hybrids?

my mother in law had a female escape who came back preggers. the babies are the spit of wildies and amazing climbers :shock:

one of the babies
IMAG0033-1.jpg

mom or aunt with a baby
IMAG0032-1.jpg

its hard to get pics as they move so fast :shock: i do have a picture of one of the babies ontop of a two storey hutch but i cannot find it :oops:

I can see why. They will be kept in a large enclosure when they get older but will never be fully released. as I know they wouldnt last long. I am worried about the trip to the vet to neuter them as the trauma could be too much for them.

I have a full wildie and he was neutered. It was hard on him, but he did ok. He was also a full on adult when mistakenly caught.

You could maybe get away with neutering the boy which is less invasive.

You could also have a change around and work to bring them round and win some basic trust (which is what I did with mine).

Thank goodness you found them!

Our Benji was the first rabbit castrated at our vet and he coped brilliantly- we had him from about 2 months old and was neutered at 6 months.
Sparrow will be neutered as soon as possible, I don't foresee any more probelms than if it was a domestic rabbit- other than I may have to wait a bit longer because of size before we can go ahead.

Our Benji was the first rabbit castrated at our vet and he coped brilliantly- we had him from about 2 months old and was neutered at 6 months.
Sparrow will be neutered as soon as possible, I don't foresee any more probelms than if it was a domestic rabbit- other than I may have to wait a bit longer because of size before we can go ahead.

many thanks for the replys I realy didnt expect this much help. I have done lots of research since getting them but this site has given very fast responces. I read somewhere that breeders sometimes purposely cross wild buck rabbits with their female does to make their stock hardier and more resistant to myxomatosis etc but I think it was mainly with meat rabbits? This is also where I heard that female wilds never breed in captivity.. and even if they mate they re-absorb their young..

many thanks for the replys I realy didnt expect this much help. I have done lots of research since getting them but this site has given very fast responces. I read somewhere that breeders sometimes purposely cross wild buck rabbits with their female does to make their stock hardier and more resistant to myxomatosis etc but I think it was mainly with meat rabbits? This is also where I heard that female wilds never breed in captivity.. and even if they mate they re-absorb their young..

Eek, that sounds awful. im glad you found help here and although I didnt give you any, I learned a lot too.

I have a half-wildie - looks like a wildie. Very affectionate, possessive, bossy, diggy, climby, burrowy, speedy, greedy.:love:

I have a half-wildie - looks like a wildie. Very affectionate, possessive, bossy, diggy, climby, burrowy, speedy, greedy.:love:

I separated my male and female wild rabbits today. They were very frightened . They appeard sexually imature however before separation the female was chacing the male around the pen aggressivly. And was paying a lot of attention to the domestic females in the ajoining pen. Mayb a sign of becoming sexualy mature?

I read this thread earlier today and then had to go to P@H as I'd totally ran out of hay. They had 2 female wild-x female bunnies in their rehoming section. I just kept thinking that P@H really wasn't the place for them, especially in a glass tank about 2 foot square :( They were so beautiful.

Sorry for going a bit off-topic :)

I read this thread earlier today and then had to go to P@H as I'd totally ran out of hay. They had 2 female wild-x female bunnies in their rehoming section. I just kept thinking that P@H really wasn't the place for them, especially in a glass tank about 2 foot square :( They were so beautiful.

Sorry for going a bit off-topic :)

thats awful - which P@H? and why do they have x wildies in there??

I'm sure Tamsin's scamp is wildie or wildie cross isnt he? And he has grown to be friendly... so they can be 'domesticated'. edit- here is her blog, I imagine theres some useful info in there, I know he climbs brilliantly, is fast, destructive and needs loads of stimulation. http://www.therabbithouse.com/blog/

Good job for separating them, the last thing you need are more! Are you sure they are male and female?

Could you give each a cuddly toy in their bed? Single rabbits get very lonely, and some will 'pretend' their toy is real which seems to help them cope.

Last edited:
Back