• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tears When Rehoming..Add Yours

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
Following on from Bouncers Thread and everyone realising how hard it may be on Jen to say goodbye ( although I did try to persuade her to keep him for herself several times!:lol:)
Thought would be nice for people who rescue and/or foster to post a bit about the ones that have pulled at their heartstrings
If you see a lot of animals come and go there are bound to be those that get to you..some after they have been with you a while, those you have nursed back from very ill health, or helped to get over their fears.
Some get to you straight away and take you by surprise, as do those who you think you're not attached to but when it comes to them being collected you find a tear running down your cheek:oops:

For me there have been so many that I'm sure to miss some out
but the ones that come to mind immediately are
Kimmy:love:..a real cutie who my whole family fell in love with

Kim.jpg

Lucy:love: a mis marked dutch with attitude:lol:

1.jpg

Cookie.. a lovely lad and so pretty :D

Cookie2d.jpg

and Reuben..or my Reuby-doos as I called him:love:

Reubc.jpg

Bandit..a vicious little so and so when he arrived who used to dare you to try to touch him..was a complete cuddle monster by the time he left :D
" You talking about me? "

Banditob.jpg

Lily what can I say about Lily? A rew lionhead cross who had the look of a goat about her:lol:..but she was just wonderful :love:

here's Lily
lily.jpg

and Abigail, Bouncer's mum, who was also with us some time..gorgeous girl:love:

Abigailrun.jpg

Last edited:
All beautiful and very special.

Savannah was probably my hardest to date, (even though she was with me for the shortest amount of time) but I think that was partly because I rescued her myself (I think it makes a BIG difference) and she was/is a total snuggle bun and VERY easy to love :love:
Savannah08062011006.jpg

That said I was also sad to see Princess Paw Paw leave :love:
Pawpawday1006.jpg

...and then there's Jester :love::love: He was just the sweetest natured bun :love:
Jester220810019.jpg

I shed tears over them all. Daft soppy old sod that I am :oops:

Last edited:
Mine has to be Dominic. Luckily for me he didn't bond with his potential new girlfriend so came back a couple of weeks later and stayed!

DSCF0335.jpg

Mine had to be Winston the boxer. He arrived a pathetic, starved, battered pup ( 10 months old), we only had him 2 weeks but I fell in love with his optimism. I couldn't take him to his new owner as I was crying so much :oops:.
Thankfully his new owner was brilliant and I am now glad he went to her, she kept in touch and we had him over last November/ December while she recovered from an op, sadly he collapsed and died in February with a heart attack.
She phoned us immediately and we went to the vet with her and cried together.
Still he was a very lucky boy and died quickly enjoying a run in the park!

So many, Jill!

There was terrified Tintin, who lived in a nursery and was given up because he had horrid fear aggression (who'd have thought it!) I spent a long time with him calming him down, so it did really tug at my heart strings when he was rehomed - although I was delighted to find out just last year that he is now called Merlin and actually lives with bunnylover177 on here, so I was able to pop and visit him and say hello :D

07042007012.jpg

The gorgeous Eddie, who really was at death's door when he arrived, having had 'experimental surgery' on his eyes when he weighed the equivalent of me weighing 5 stone. Thankfully with some urgent intervention and aggressive therapy from my vet and lots of extra food rations, he survived, and went to live a happy and much pampered life with Liz (Hugo's there).

12102008006.jpg

Nomad, who was particularly special because my hubby adored him too, which was unusual as he usually takes no interest whatsoever in any of the buns! Nomad adored his basket (Barbara, for those who remember :lol:) and he went on to live a long and happy life with Jack's-Jane :)

04072006.jpg

Perhaps my favourite of all (shhh, don't tell the others :oops:) was Nala, who came to stay at Auntie Alison's fat camp because she was too tubby to be spayed. She was horribly aggressive at the rescue and would shred the owner and her family whenever they went near her, but she was good as gold with me and would run up for noserubs :lol::lol: We could only assume that she just didn't cope very well with the multitude of bunny smell at the rescue.

01102006002.jpg

There are many more of course, but these ones particularly got to me when they left for their new homes! I remember when we went to collect our cats from the fosterer, their foster mum was in floods of tears and apparently stayed that way for the rest of the day, poor woman!

I'm going to re home Jack to a rescue soon, the rescue has to deal with so many bunnies atm roughly 50, so they're dealing with the important cases first.

But when it's Jack's turn, he has to go, recently he's started to interact with us more by running around us, following us and letting us stroke his head:love:

He was really nervous before, I'm glad he's come out of his shell more for his future owners :)

The gorgeous Eddie, who really was at death's door when he arrived, having had 'experimental surgery' on his eyes when he weighed the equivalent of me weighing 5 stone. Thankfully with some urgent intervention and aggressive therapy from my vet and lots of extra food rations, he survived, and went to live a happy and much pampered life with Liz (Hugo's there).

12102008006.jpg

:( That picture has brought tears to my eyes he looks so sad and weak there :cry::cry:

I hope all our updates and your visits made it a little easier for you.

I remember going to collect a bunny from a fosterer for ARC many years a go. She was so upset at handing him over I felt bad taking him and nearly gave him back! But again i tried to keep her updated with photos etc.

I am so glad we don;t rehome out bunnies, I couldn't do it and am full of admiration for those that do :D

ohh there are soooo many ..

Lara .. a fluffy rew that came in , miscarried and almost died .. I cried and cried went she was rehomed :oops:

Holly and Arthur .. two agressive REWs ...they had been with us ages . I never thought we would rehome them and after 2 yrs id just about decided they were here to stay .. we went on hols and came back to a message on my answer phone of an offer of a home .. I burst in to tears .. then cried again when they went .. :oops:

Then there was Liesel .. a georgeous agouti german lop .. she was adorable . Unfortunatly there were complications after her spaywhich left her paralised from the waist down . ..we found her a place at Ebony eyes and drove to Scotland with her and I cried all the way .. and back .. :oops: :(

There are lots more ...but these are the ones that stick in my head and heart most .

I have had no rescue buns but thought I'd like to say how nice it is to read about these buns. :love:

Heres my little foster who I had last year...
aug10034.jpg
He was terrified when he came in and full of fleas and tics.
manny002.jpg
sept10014.jpg
He grew into the most lovely dog, full of personality:love: He found a lovely home and is very much loved, but I have to admit I shed a few tears when I left him..

I have had a lot of fosters but he's the one I think about the most:love:

:( That picture has brought tears to my eyes he looks so sad and weak there :cry::cry:

I hope all our updates and your visits made it a little easier for you.

And the worrying thing is Liz, I deliberately didn't pick one of the worst photos! Fortunately he perked up when he came to live at Rainbow Rabbits - you and his furry pals got some spark back into those eyes :) - and yes, of course the updates and visits made it easier, tears definitely turn to big smiles when you see them happy, loved and well cared for in their forever homes :D

And the worrying thing is Liz, I deliberately didn't pick one of the worst photos! Fortunately he perked up when he came to live at Rainbow Rabbits - you and his furry pals got some spark back into those eyes :) - and yes, of course the updates and visits made it easier, tears definitely turn to big smiles when you see them happy, loved and well cared for in their forever homes :D

:cry::cry: Looking at it again, thats exactly what it is - he has no life in his eyes, they look flat :( I don't think I ever saw them like that, not even in his final days with us. He will always have a very special place in both mine and Steve's heart, especially Steve's :love::love:

I've only fostered 2. Kanika was ok, as she was a lovely bunny, but wasn't with us that long. We know she went to a good home.
Sonny is still with us, and has been with us for months. He was very aggressive when he arrived and is now a big old softie, so it will be painful when he finds a new home. Particularly for my o/h who has really bonded with him.

All of them :oops: but Buzz was my first foster rabbit and we completely fell in love with him :love:

He was dumped on the rescue doorstep with four others. He was in good health, a little skinny and with some terrible scabs on his back which seemed to have welded themselves back on (these were removed when he went in for his big boy op). Such a friendly little man, he used to groom me for hours :love: in return for me combing all his knots out of his fluffy fur. Broke our hearts when he went to his new home, but at the same time I knew he was desperate for bunny-company.

182483_1758397593035_1031875731_32082382_1260622_n.jpg

Muffin (a sanctuary bun) is also very special to me - he was also such a friendly boy even though he had Crumpet for company he still wanted our fuss too. Unfortunately, he choked on a pellet whilst in my care and although I rushed him to the vet (didn't know what else to do then - now I do) he didn't survive the journey :cry:. Muffin is the reason all my rabbits are on SS pellets now. So sorry to have let you down little guy :cry: :love: :cry:

207843_1864879015004_1031875731_32221905_1241646_n.jpg

and Crystal, who is 'a very rare rabbit' apparently! She was died pink as a youngster and still had this patch when she came in (her new mummy tells me it has all come out now!). From the state of her poos it didn't look as though she'd had much hay and she wasn't keen on it either! Took a lot of special chamomile harvest hay to get this one eating like she should be. She is also the naughtiest bun I've had - I couldn't leave her in the pen unattended as she could jump over. She was very fond of sitting on the windowsill :lol: I didn't cry over Crystal though as she has gone to live with someone who I am in touch with so I know exactly what naughtiness she is up to :love:

248417_1975460299467_1031875731_32384392_4618736_n.jpg

003-1.jpg

My failed foster boy Diego. He'd been in a rescue a long time and had been in two different ones.

I haven't managed to rehome any of my fosters yet though so time will tell.

Looking through this thread, and reading all their stories and photos, has brought a tear to my eye. I really don't know how you guys can do the work you do. To have these poor poor buns come in, some in such terrible condition. To nurse them back to health, care for them, love them, and then watch them go to new homes. It would break my heart to do the work you all do. All you guys are amazing :love:

Fidget... my wonderful gorgeous and cheeky BARC foster Piggie
DSCF8772.jpg

He stay with me 8 months after comimg in with what we thought was his brother and dad, all PEWS.
They were all what I called 'Feral' they were so so scared
He was the last of the Trio to be rehomed, but was actually the one with the most adoreable, inquisitive cheeky personalities but the time he left.
Over last winter we enjoyed his antics of him racing round my living room and by this June we had found the perfect home.

All that waiting paid off, he now has a wifey called Pepsi and the most fabulous home.

PepsiFidget1.jpg

I grieved for him but his new Mummy is on the Guinea Pig forum so I get regular updates :D

Back