• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bensonlolas's annual house bunny thread..... calling all housebun experts!

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
..... well, should I or shouldn't I? I've had renovation work done this year which made a perfect bunny room. About 8ft wide by 15ft or so long. Kitchen/snug area. I could set it up really nicely for the buns for winter.

How would you suggest I start to see if they would like it. I figure I'd be better to try in the summer so that if it doesn't work I'm not turfing them out again in the depths of winter. Should I maybe set up the room with littertray, box, hay etc and have them in for an hour, then two etc... and build it up?

They love the room and come in to play a few times a day but the patio doors are always open as Lola gets a bit panicy if I close them.

This could be the year folks that Ben and Lol come in!! I'm getting very excited at the prospect!! Any useful advice or thoughts on the matter.

I should say that they are VERY happy outside - it would be more for me to see them more in winter and for convenience to be honest.:?

Do it!!! Do it!!!!!
As you say,its best not to turf back out in the cold.
Sounds fab!! Little chairs for them to stand on,boxes.....oooh....set it up!!!

Ya know - I think I will - It would do no harm. At best I'll discover they come to enjoy the comforts of indoor living and at worst they'll have more fun when they come in to play as they normally do too! My sister gave me a new box, so I'll cut holes in it and I'll clean a fresh litter tray and put some of the soiled stuff from the shed in. I need to rig up some cunning way of supporting a waterbottle. I'll just leave it like that for a few days and not close the patio door, until I think they (well Lola - Benson is not the problem) are comfortable with it and then maybe start to close the door.

depends if you want them to destroy the house or not :roll:

Hmmm. Yes - another reason to try it out in the summer. They don't tend to be chewers, but as they would get used to a new set-up and begin to feel at home...... a fair point you have there Graham!

Only thing is - there is very little for them to chew in this part of the room and what there is could be easily bunnyproofed. Really just the skirting and edges of the sofa. I guess there's only one way to find out eh? :shock:

Hmmm. Yes - another reason to try it out in the summer. They don't tend to be chewers, but as they would get used to a new set-up and begin to feel at home...... a fair point you have there Graham!

Only thing is - there is very little for them to chew in this part of the room and what there is could be easily bunnyproofed. Really just the skirting and edges of the sofa. I guess there's only one way to find out eh? :shock:

I thought that.

Until Biscuit ripped the carpet up and the lino and the protectors i thought were inpenetrable...

I thought that.

Until Biscuit ripped the carpet up and the lino and the protectors i thought were inpenetrable...

Oh. He's a fiesty, determined little fellow then! Well I'll bare all this in mind and watch them very carefully then!! Does Ginger do any destructing?

No, you didn't, but I rather thought she might have a taste for them. :lol:

Sounds stupid, but I like the little bite mark - it reminds me of my Lolliegirl when I'm out and about!! That and the other Lola-bite-shaped hole in the leather bow on my rather expensive black sequence pumps!!! (they would have been expensive had they not been in the sale). Lola has expensive 'taste'!!

Sounds stupid, but I like the little bite mark - it reminds me of my Lolliegirl when I'm out and about!! That and the other Lola-bite-shaped hole in the leather bow on my rather expensive black sequence pumps!!! (they would have been expensive had they not been in the sale). Lola has expensive 'taste'!!

Well, she's a Ladybun so whhat do you expect. Buy cheaper handbags and she'll leave them alone. Keep the Kiplings in your bedroom. Spense sometimes has a nom of my books.

Graham. You are not selling this housebun idea at all today!! :lol::lol::lol:

I'd rather you had all the ammunition to aid your decision :wave:

If i owned the house, i wouldnt care. But its the fact i don't thats the problem...

Do it! :D I'd love to bring mine in but they get more space out there so it's better for them in the shed, plus Max loves it outside anyway

I'd rather you had all the ammunition to aid your decision :wave:

If i owned the house, i wouldnt care. But its the fact i don't thats the problem...

No you're right. I'll just try, but you're reaffirming my idea of doing this in the summer, while it's still ok for them to be put back out and give them time to grow their winter coats!! As I say - they are VERY happy outside, even in the depths of winter - I just miss them and it's freeeeeeeeezing out there for me to go out 3 times a day!!

If being up to my neck in a mortgage that hardly comes down every year is owning my own home, then yes I do - I guess I don't have to worry about landlords, but I do have a very vocal mother!!:roll: :lol:

Maybe if you post a photo of the space we can highlight any areas were they might cause trouble? Sometimes they chew the oddest things.

I agree with Graham, dont underestimate them! My two arent chewers, I swear Barney thinks hes a dog, and one of the reasons I chose Annabelle was because she didnt chew or destroy. They were fine in the old house, but less than two weeks of being in the flat and I already had a carpet dug up, (white!) sofas peed on and wallpaper missing. They have also recently got a taste for bags, not cute little bite marks though, bunny destruction!

Be especially careful with wallpaper! And bunny-proof any wiresand any furniture you dont want nibbled.

That said, I'd miss them terribly if they went outside :) I love the fact that I dont have to go out in the pouring rain to clean out littertrays, and that I dont have to put aside time to spend with them, I just give them the odd bit of attention here and there, and if they want more they run up to me.

I actually missed them when I moved them out of my bedroom to the lounge :oops: as I didnt get to see them when I was getting ready for work or watching a movie or reading.

Back