• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping hay in a wheelie bin outside?

Grin

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone have a problem with this?

I just opened the lid and rain water poured into the bin. Is the hay ruined? I *think* i pulled out the wet stuff.

It's the first time i've kept baled hay outside in a wheelie bin - it was previously bagged up and kept in the cupboard under the stairs but that's now occupied by our winter boots/coats.

Think i might have to evict the coats and go back to storing it in there.

No I tend to just brush it off the lid before opening it :) it will only be the top bit thats wet. My lot have a hay rack in their run and still eat out of it when its rained

Last edited:
I think I'd go for the indoor storeage, I'm a bit precious about hay though, hazard of fussy bunbuns :lol:

I didnt even think of wiping it down before i opened it. I went out with my eyes half open - the buns jumping at my ankles and i wasnt really watching what i was doing - i only heard the splash! :oops:

I'll take a towel out with me next time. :lol:

I think I'd go for the indoor storeage, I'm a bit precious about hay though, hazard of fussy bunbuns :lol:

How do you store it indoors?

I had it in bin bags - but i dont think the hay kept too fresh.

How do you store it indoors?

I had it in bin bags - but i dont think the hay kept too fresh.

:wave: I buy bagged dust extracted :oops: Admittedly could be more tricky with baled, someone ages ago bought a thing from Argos which fit a bale inside perfectly and was watertight I think, like a trunk/blanket box thing. How about hessian sacks or carboard boxes?? I see what you mean now :oops:

I keep mine on top of the hutch with a tarp over it. I have some old seed trays under it to let air get at the bottom too.

:wave: I buy bagged dust extracted :oops: Admittedly could be more tricky with baled, someone ages ago bought a thing from Argos which fit a bale inside perfectly and was watertight I think, like a trunk/blanket box thing. How about hessian sacks or carboard boxes?? I see what you mean now :oops:

I have one of those from Homebase. It's in a garage though, not sure how waterproof it really is.

Stes moms bunnies live in an enclosure with no roof and they eat wet hay from the run area, why is it bad to be wet a little????

I have a small shed thing.It seems to have remained dry inside with all the summer rain weve had,but Im watching it like a hawk.

Stes moms bunnies live in an enclosure with no roof and they eat wet hay from the run area, why is it bad to be wet a little????

Well, i didnt think them eating the hay wet was a problem - i gave the wet stuff to them today and they loved it - but i thought there might be a problem if the water went further down and would stay damp until we got down to the bottom of it - i thought it might make the hay go mouldy or something???

We've got one of those bale shaped storage boxes and they are the same as wheelie bin storage really - although they do keep water out, some dribbles get in when the top is wet. They are not totally 100% waterproof either due to possible gaps in the construction of where the plastic ends meet etc.

Well, i didnt think them eating the hay wet was a problem - i gave the wet stuff to them today and they loved it - but i thought there might be a problem if the water went further down and would stay damp until we got down to the bottom of it - i thought it might make the hay go mouldy or something???

We've got one of those bale shaped storage boxes and they are the same as wheelie bin storage really - although they do keep water out, some dribbles get in when the top is wet. They are not totally 100% waterproof either due to possible gaps in the construction of where the plastic ends meet etc.

oh i see Doh :oops:. hopefully with it just being a small amount of water it wont cause a problem :D

Hay does go mouldy and a white kind of fluff grows on it. Not nice. I found some in the one corner of the run that gets damp. :roll: I watch it carefully now. Mouldy hay doesn't smell too pleasant either!

Hay does go mouldy and a white kind of fluff grows on it. Not nice. I found some in the one corner of the run that gets damp. :roll: I watch it carefully now. Mouldy hay doesn't smell too pleasant either!

Eww - i will watch out for that - ta!

Back