• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Slugs!

crazyames

Warren Scout
What's a rabbit-safe way of stopping slugs from getting into his hutch? This was never a problem at my own house but seems to be a huge problem here at my parents. I found one in his bowl earlier :shock:

Mum won't let me use salt because it makes a mess :roll:

Hi :wave:

When Roxy was outdoors we had the same problem and we were advised to tack copper strips round the bottom of the legs of her hutch. It seemed to work very well.

Copper strips, salt and putting a pile of food under the hutch so that they have no reason to go any further. ;)

Most places that sell garden stuff. You are supposed to put the strip around the top of plant pots to stop slugs getting to the plants, but it works on rabbits hutches and food bowls too. I don't think it's expensive. You have to replace it when it starts to oxidise thous as it becomes less effective. :)

SLUGS - all out war!! How to get rid of them

After years of battling with slugs and finding slime in my rabbits bowls each morning i had tried all sorts of things but found the only way to get rid of them is an all out war and slug patrol in the night. Wait until about midnight a damp evening is best, You will need the following:
Bottle of cheap economy vinegar
A used can or empty glass jar
A trowel
A torch
Fill the jar half full with the vinegar
You just go round the garden finding them with the torch and scooping them up and plopping them in the vinegar which kills them instantly. You have to do this over several days or even weeks and you will eventually get the main culprits, the big long fat yukky ones.
The nasty bit comes when the jar is full and you have to empty it. Dig a big hole in the garden and pour them in but it is so satisfying knowing you have eradicated them and your bunnies can eat their food at night.

Back