• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor hutches

MopsyMops =]

Warren Veteran
I've posted so many of these threads before and heres another one. I just want to get some ideas, if possible.
Atm Ogs just has a simple indoor cage which he only goes into at night. We've had it for awhile now and I just want to upgrade really.

The options are a NIC cage, which could be good with the different levels... I can see Ogs liking that.
A normal indoor cage but I'd want one to be 6ft... which I think someone had?! Or was I imagining it?
Option 3, get an outside hutch from rydale or somewhere like that.
Or a big dog crate.

Hmmm, I don't know which one to choose really :?

I've done the dog crate and I've done the NIC cage and I've done bunny proofing a room. By far my favourite and easiest to clean and look after has been the bunny proofing.

I've got a big crate for Spenser (4 feet). He doesn't live in though - it was bought for his recovery post-neuter. I kept it up in my room because it is goos for him to have a base if it is wet and he comes indoors to exercise. The other reason for keeping it up all the time is that if I needed it when my parents were away it is too heavy for me to shift into position.

ive had indoor cages of different types and sizes...ive had dog crates of different sizes.....had a hutch..it was one called thistle hall i think from pets at home....and also free range 24/7:shock:

i have frenchies free ranging downstairs....they used to have the entire downstairs....but to stop bluebell going upstairs and chasing the cats fro their food and litter tray..ive put a baby gate across the lounge doorway..the lounge then opens onto the kitchen..and ive put a gate across that doorway....it has helped bluebell feel safer..and in ore control...odd but true.

the littlies have a 120cm cage each..apart fro phoebe who has a pink dog crate fro when freya kitty had to be spayed and confined as she is a spider onkey and would have been dead by dawn as they say. The buns only have the as base stations for when theyre out and about..and for safety theyre put in the overnite..

i can say i loved the hutch..it was easier to clean than the dog crate or cages.....and i could hoover undeneath...without having to move it all:lol:

i have to say ive never done the nic cubes one....itd be hell to upkeep for me personally. see thats the crux of the matter... whatever you choose has to be great for your buns needs and personality..and easy for you to clean!!

merlin has the ferplast 120..only gripe is the floor is hatched and any sticky poops or wees are hell to clean off without the aid of a scrubbing brush and steam cleaner!! but its a suitable base for him.

i took the ledge out as merlin chewed too much of it!!
http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=813&pf_id=50201

oh and because his 3 kitty friends love hi so uch back..they slept on one end of the roof..its now out of shape:shock::oops: so weve taken it off;)

if there was the oney..you could always pass it off as a funky design wardrobe!!:shock::lol:
http://www.bitsforpets.com/freddie-5ft-triple-level-hutch-p-3391.html

berties a frenchie whos getting on now....hes 7 and got several health probs inc arthritis...but when he lost his hooge wifey willow...he began bonding with his ex issus and her fella..who sadly died a few weeks later. Bertie loved sleeping in the lower level of the hutch:oops:

he said hed like this in the lounge thank you..
http://www.bitsforpets.com/freddie-5ft-hutch-p-3308.html#!prettyPhoto[gallery1]/0/

you could use a playpen...put a piece of lino underneath the pen if you have carpet or laminate flooring!!
http://www.vagavalley.co.uk/bunnysupplies/playpens.html

I'm not a fan of dog crates or nic cubes as they're big and ugly and just look awful. Bunny proofing is a lot easier IMO and the buns prefer it. I do have a Savic 4 cage that I use as a base but I'm thinking of getting rid and just using a small wooden hidey hole and a little tray.

Thanks so much for the links purplebumble, will look through them all now :wave:

I'd love him to go free range - just worried because he is massive destruct-a-bun.

I'm going to have to mull through ideas I think.
Purplebumble, thats exactly it. As he lives in my room, I want something which is easy to clean out and keep clean.

Oh I don't know :lol:

Thanks so much for the links purplebumble, will look through them all now :wave:

I'd love him to go free range - just worried because he is massive destruct-a-bun.

I'm going to have to mull through ideas I think.
Purplebumble, thats exactly it. As he lives in my room, I want something which is easy to clean out and keep clean.

Oh I don't know :lol:

I should so give you the list of what Milly has destroyed! :lol:

I had the same issue as you, and I chose NIC panels because 1) it is a lot easier to clean things when you can hoover them and just walk in, and 2) they are easy to upgrade and change when I want, and I can move it easily.

I have an unnused 5ft double hutch, and considered putting them in that recently, but it echoes when the bunnies jump, makes a thudding sound, and I thought it would be too noisy for my bedroom.

I had the same issue as you, and I chose NIC panels because 1) it is a lot easier to clean things when you can hoover them and just walk in, and 2) they are easy to upgrade and change when I want, and I can move it easily.

I have an unnused 5ft double hutch, and considered putting them in that recently, but it echoes when the bunnies jump, makes a thudding sound, and I thought it would be too noisy for my bedroom.

Would you say its the best accomodation you've had?
I like the idea of different levels.

Also they are very useful for bunnyproofing if you do decide in the future to go free-range.

Would you say its the best accomodation you've had?
I like the idea of different levels.

Its easier to clean than the hutch and the indoor cage I had. However it doesnt have a base, so when you walk in you can walk out with hay on your socks and then walk it about th room. I solved this problem by using foam tiles for the base, easy and very cheap to replace, it also means its wipe clean and sweepable. You could also make a correx base.

I dont have loads of levels currently, as I fold back the sides a bit every morning so I have more floorspace in my bedroom when theyre out. Which is great, it means I can give them a bigger base but not have it take over my room. I am hoping to put levels in it soon though... here is what I mean (green is first level, red is 2nd)
bunnypen.png

and here is what it used to be like before I moved:
SAM_0608.jpg

Hope that makes sense!

Really edging over to NIC cubes, going to pop into B&Q on the way back from work.

Oh no Steph :shock::lol: Oggies main love atm is carpet :roll:
I'll let you all know later, really excited now :D

Its easier to clean than the hutch and the indoor cage I had. However it doesnt have a base, so when you walk in you can walk out with hay on your socks and then walk it about th room. I solved this problem by using foam tiles for the base, easy and very cheap to replace, it also means its wipe clean and sweepable. You could also make a correx base.

I dont have loads of levels currently, as I fold back the sides a bit every morning so I have more floorspace in my bedroom when theyre out. Which is great, it means I can give them a bigger base but not have it take over my room. I am hoping to put levels in it soon though... here is what I mean (green is first level, red is 2nd)
bunnypen.png

and here is what it used to be like before I moved:
SAM_0608.jpg

Hope that makes sense!

Makes perfect sense!
I'll be doing something similar with ogs but with the levels.

Thank you! :)

I think I've decided on NIC cubes for sure. I just have so many ideas so I'm going to make a list! :lol:
Eeee, excited :love:

Back