• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housebuns/ outdoor buns..... thoughts on this please?

TeflonsShadow

Wise Old Thumper
My buns have always been INDOOR buns. Recently, they have been alot happier outside.... they have a big 8 foot run and are difficult to bring back inside (they grunt and trash their inside house, then binky once outside again!).

Am thinking of attaching a hutch to the run and allowing them to be outdoor buns until the weather gets really bad.

We dont have central heating, so before the weather turns nasty ( - temps, snow etc), I was thinking of setting them up in my spare room, which will be slightly warmer than outside, but preferably protected from frost, snow, ice etc. The window can even be kept open for them if needed.

What do you think of this?

I just cant bring myself to allow them to be outside when temps drop below 0..... regardless of whether they like it or not! I worry about their health too much!

Last edited:
sounds like a decent plan. esme loves being outside BUT if its cold or very wet, she chooses to come inside. the kitchen is her 'home' but she has the best of both worlds and loves it (i'm not so keen standing outside with her though when its bitterly cold!).

I work very hard in the winter to keep my two outdoor buns warm enough and they actually seem to thrive in the coldest of weather! When I let them out for a run, they leap about and are really frisky - they seem to love the cold weather. Of course I never let them get draughts of be damp, but cold - they love it!! I'm thinking tho when they are older I'll see if they will become house buns for me, but they LOVE it outside and only come into the house to play as long as the patio doors stay open, or Lola especially starts to panic!!

My buns are outside in all weathers and they will sit outside rather than their shelters most times lol.

I personally think it's more natural for them to be outside and they cope with cold better than people think.

My buns are outside in all weathers and they will sit outside rather than their shelters most times lol.

I personally think it's more natural for them to be outside and they cope with cold better than people think.

^^ this but specifically for pairs/more than one, not so keen on a singleton being kept outside, there are a lot of totally adored spoiled housebuns and that is fine aswell, my preference is to house them outside though, in good size accomodation with company of their own kind and still quite a bit of hoomin interaction/cuddles :)

Back