• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving house and bunnies

Ellasyn

Mama Doe
Good news is we're buying a house so I can get Buzzby a friend, although probably not for 3 or 4 months to give time to get the house, sort out a setup etc. Two things I wouldnt mind advice on though:

Bonding: Is there anywhere in suffolk/south norfolk that can assist with bonding or is it something that I should be able to do myself. Buzz is a lovely friendly bun but I worry about it going wrong, and I know the worried vibes wont help the process.

Housing: I have a 5ft6x2x2 hutch currently and he has a massive permanent run area, but he will have to have a smaller run area and something more than just the hutch with a buddy. The garden is easily bunnyproofed so supervised free ranging should be possible which Im very pleased about. So if I have a smaller area, (its at least 6ft wide and probably about 10ft deep, possibly more) what would be the easiest way (and ideally cheap) to sort it? Im wondering if a small shed with the hutch in would be safe with a smallish attached run? I could make quite a setup inside a shed with the hutch aswell. I would need some kind of insulation to prevent it heating up as its a south facing garden though. That said in summer the living room can be sectioned off if needed when its just too hot. What sort of size would I be looking at in that sort of space to be suitable? I think the shed is 6x4, so I could make a 6x6 run on it, person height so I can still get in easily, on patio ( ill make a digging/grass tray in there and toys). Would that be an acceptable size or do I need to rethink positioning? Tips on insulating against heat greatly appreciated.

I can't do the bonding completely, but, depending on whether or not you wanted me in your house, I would be happy to come round and stay through the initial introduction and be at the end of the phone and come round if you wanted whilst you did bond and met any hitches (this is what I offer those who adopt from the RSPCA).

And I think your set up plan sounds lovely! Would certainly meet our criteria. ;)

That would be awesome! I didnt know the RSPCA helped with bonding, although that may have been the west suffolk area one. Also gives me a good place to start looking for a bun!

That would be awesome! I didnt know the RSPCA helped with bonding, although that may have been the west suffolk area one. Also gives me a good place to start looking for a bun!

The RSPCA doesn't, but I do ;) I guess it's like an 'outreach' service because all those bunnies are so important to me, I want it to work. If I can offer that to someone who needs help with bonding (even if they haven't adopted from the RSPCA) then that's grand :)

We need more people like you to help bunnies round here. Ill get planning on the setup and try figure a safe way to keep it cool in there.

Back