• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will the rabbits eat fleece?

Alicia

Mama Doe
Someone has asked me to make a hammock for their rabbit, and they asked me if I think he'd chew it or break it. I'm a bit worried that if he did, the hammock has wadding on the inside, and I wouldn't want the rabbit to eat that. Is there an alternative stuffing for the hammock that I could use that is safe for rabbit so if he did break it he wouldn't eat any of the inside of it or anything.
Would shredded fleece be ok or do you think a rabbit could still eat it? I know it depends on the individual rabbit.

Mine will dig at and sometimes chew the fleece but not very much, it honestly depends on the rabbit. If they suspect any ingestion of the materials then they would have to take it away in case it caused a blockage.

Two out of my three rabbits are fleece chewers.
So as per Schuette - depends on the bun.
My guys make confetti out of fleece but don't actually swallow it.
They just chew 1000's of neat little holes in the fleece & when you shake it out all the insides (the confetti) fall out.
I only continue to give them fleece because they enjoy snuggling on it too, once they've made it holy enough!

mine have a fleece blanket in there shed which so far they havnt chewed :) I think you just need to advise her of the problems and if she still wants it to let her know she needs to check it daily for signs of chewing and remove it if neccessary!

Back