• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What would you do?

Hoppit!

Wise Old Thumper
I'm going away for a week next month, and need to do something with the norty boy. Shall I:

1. Put him in bunny boarding (they're breeders :evil:) and the cage will only be 4ft square. He will have company though and they do know about rabbits.

2. Leave him here in his shed and get someone to pop in and let him out in the mornings/feed him in the evenings. Unfortunatly we hate all our neighbours and don't know anyone at the local village, so it's either try and find a professional pet sitter who lives miles away or have one of my sister's friends from work (vets) do it. Then what happens if it starts to rain heavily while the shed door is open/the sun comes out and the shed gets very hot with the door shut? Also he would be very lonely.

I really don't know what to do. What do you think?

I think I would go for the boarding... But only if he can cope with travelling/being somewhere new. I don't think my Honey could cope with it, so I'd never board her. But I don't like the thought of them being lonely... :wave:

I will have him!!!!!:wave::wave::wave:
Im not too far away,surely??

Thanks Yvette! If I run out of options here I might just take you up on that. It's a good 2 hours drive away though, and he gets very stressed in the car. Anyway, the dog might be having a spinal op on Thurs, in which case we'll have to cancel the holiday anyway. :(

Last edited:
I would suggest only leaving him at home with someone you trust and who is at least reasonably bunny savvy, or at least that is my plan for this weekend. I know I wouold just be worried sick otherwise! :roll:

I wouldn't use boarding if the accomodation is that small. Is there not another border local to you?

i would go with boarding, i could not go away and leave my buns without someone living in or them going to boarding, last time i left them they went to my mom with a long list of numbers from RUers just incase Alvin went off his food and a step by step care guide so the routine was not interrupted, she even forraged for them :lol:

I'm still undecided. I don't feel comfortable with the thought of boarding him in a tiny enclosure, especially as he'll be able to see and smell the other rabbits, now he's all by himself. On the other hand I can't find any petsitters. :( I feel so guilty swanning off and abandoning him.

Aww that really sucks, I wish I was closer and I could look after him! I'd probably go with boarding, but I can see why you wouldn't want to. Is he still quite an active bunny? I know when Rosie was his age, it would have been OK to put her in that sort of size as she didn't really do a whole lot of exercise by that age, but then, she was used to a hutch.

Can you post a thread on here with your area and see is there is anyone on here who could do it?

Does he get time in a run too?

They said there are runs outside weather permitting, but I think they're talking arks rather than proper 'binky size' runs. He is still pretty active and makes full use of the space in his 8x6 shed. If he just slept all day I wouldn't mind so much.

Have you asked your vets if they know of any good boarders and where I used to live one of the vet nurses boarded bunnies but didn't advertise that much. I'd personally say it's better to have them where the person looking after them understands bunnies best - I'd be surprised if that's a breeder who's got them in a 4ft anything.

Back