• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What kind of bolts? and cover for front?

loubylou34

Warren Scout
Hi guys,
What sort of bolts have you added to your hutches that are outdoor proof? I am struggling to find some small enough to go on my hutch and be rust proof.

Also what sort of cover do you have over the front to protect from rain? I don't feel the need for a full around cover, but is there any kind of home made thing to just hang on the front? maybe a see through shower curtain or similar?? just to stop the rain going in the front?

Wilkinsons sell a security hasp and staple that you can use to lock your hutches with a padlock. You can combine it with a twist lock to keep the doors completely shut and stop them rattling. It's pretty small:
http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/door-bolts-door-locks+night-latches/wilko-hasp+staple-100mm/invt/0188000/?htxt=PsAGyAqy%2FDSGVBgOHPBfATKVETOKIWHcwqoICuDrG%2FxTcDPfxIrYzUvEu76RzzM6wutKTeo9AOCB%0AtDs76aYYKg%3D%3D
If you've got a bit more room I would go for a brenton bolt, which they also sell. This works like a normal bolt that you can padlock.

I use the little brass padlocks from Wilkinsons- make sure you get brass and not just brass-effect. I've used them for years and never known them to rust. I combine them with the hasp and staples that Stator mentioned.

I also use Wilco's plain white cheap shower curtains, hung on a wire so they can be tied back, and use the little 'velcro-type' dots to stop them flapping about- the risk with clear shower curtains is it may get too hot inside the hutch if the sun shines through xx

Back