• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nahla is a bonding disaster.

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
Today I managed to paint the hutch (before the torrential rain:roll:) but to cut a long story short, Nahla accidentally came into contact with Peanut.

I appreciate it wasn't totally neutral territory but she just full on attacked him. Luckily he wasn't fazed and just hopped away, but Nahla was biting and growling before I realised and managed to grab her.

She used to do the exact same to Cupcake... It just feels like I'm never going to be able to bond her.

I've been planning to bond them as a quad when PB is neutered and I've had ideas for accomodation, but after the way Nahla acted today I just know its never going to happen...

I feel very sad and I'm now off to PM Janice:lol:

Oh no :( Are you sure you couldn't try bonding them when Peanut's neutered and they're in a neutral space? I hope you can eventually have a quad :)

But peanut isn't neutered, I'd say that's a totally normal reaction from her. Especially since it wasn't neutral.

Before I bonded my 2, any time they saw each other they were trying to attack each other through the bars. I had to move the cages further apart because I was scared one of them would get injured.

When it's time, just take it slowly, neutralise everything and do it on their terms

But peanut isn't neutered, I'd say that's a totally normal reaction from her. Especially since it wasn't neutral.

Before I bonded my 2, any time they saw each other they were trying to attack each other through the bars. I had to move the cages further apart because I was scared one of them would get injured.

When it's time, just take it slowly, neutralise everything and do it on their terms

You probably didn't read my bonding story last time, sorry I probably should have said it in my first post :)

In May and June, I tried to bond Nahla, Ben and Cupcake together. Nahla repeatedly attacked the others. She doesn't even wait two seconds to see what the other rabbits are doing, she just attacks. Everything was totally neutral, all three bunnies were neutered.

Unfortunately, it's not totally normal at all... thousands of rabbits are bonded successfully but she just lunges and bites and it's not just nips, she bites to kill.

I've asked janice for her help though, and she is the bonding guru:D

poor nahla must just not like other buns
maybe she could just live along side the other 3
then get use to them
and try for a quad later
if not she still very cute :love::love:

I would say dont panic. There will be a reason why she is acting like this and there may be ways around it.

Sandy went through a good 11 dates before Roger won her over. Her problem was that she was terrified of other bunnies.

Candyfloss was also a bonding nightmare in a different way and for her we had to go super slow and the whole thing took three months of progressive dates.

Maybe she needs a slow approach, getting to know the smells, being in the other bunnies territory (without the other bunny there), etc, learning to feel safe around the smell of the other bunny and then going from there.

I would say dont panic. There will be a reason why she is acting like this and there may be ways around it.

Sandy went through a good 11 dates before Roger won her over. Her problem was that she was terrified of other bunnies.

Candyfloss was also a bonding nightmare in a different way and for her we had to go super slow and the whole thing took three months of progressive dates.

Maybe she needs a slow approach, getting to know the smells, being in the other bunnies territory (without the other bunny there), etc, learning to feel safe around the smell of the other bunny and then going from there.

That's a good idea.. thankyou :)

Back