• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding pen ready!!!!

hannah.mc

Warren Scout
Gulp.......after Isaac being here over two months he's well and I have 72 hours off so the bonding pen is ready and all I have to do is go take a shower and get changed and hold my nerve!!!!!!
Eeek!!!!!
:?

Well the first 6 hours seemed to go well. There was virtually no reaction to one another when I introduced them to their pen (I followed advise on here so the popped out of 2 seperate travel boxes simultaneously) and then they both explored their pen and within 15 mins had groomed one another!!!!! Hardly a nip......
They've cuddled up and eaten together.
He's done some thumping (to get her attention) and up until bedtime there hadn't been mounting but then typically he got frisky as lights were supposed to be going out......
So I ended up sleeping on the kitchen floor (cold and most uncomfortable) and spraying him with water when things got frisky. There wasn't any aggression but it was entirely unreciprocated on her part and he's quite a lot larger and younger than her so I didn't want her to get cross or upset.
My questions are really
1) This is obviously a positive start but it's early days. I'ld like to relocate them to half the shed (neutralised it yesterday although it smells like a chip shop!!!!) but not sure when to do it. They're currently in a pen that's probably 2x2ft. Half the shed will be 4x5ft. I thought maybe tonight might be too early to relocate them but wondered about tomorrow am? Although the formal bonding was only since yesterday they have lived side by side for 2 months and sharde the garden (1 in the pen, 1 free roaming).
2) What do people think about car journeys? I thought when I take them from their current pen it MAY be worth taking them for a short drive before relocating them to the shed?
3) What behaviours should I be expecting today? Cuddles,grooming,mounting? There's been no aggression and even when he mounts her and she CLEARLY isn't interested she just sits there. Do I let them do that (I've kind of decided I have to let it run it's course except for head mounting as I don't want her nipping at him!!!!)
Sorry for length of post, can you tell I've had 5 hours brocken sleep?
Thanks in advance xx
Photos to follow!

Thats a really good start. I would give them another day or two before moving them. I know it seems mean but it will make the bond stronger.

There are mixed views on the car journey. All mine had 3 hour journey from fatfluffs after a few days bonding and I feel it helped :D

Yep I thought today would be a bit early (wishful thinking)
I figure a trip in the car in a big travel box will make more sense in their little heads rather than just moving them from the kitchen to the shed.
I was going to move all their pen bedding into the shed so the smells would be there and they wouldn't be starting from scratch.
Right I'm going to try and get a bit more sleep, I can't function on such broken sleep!!!!!
Thanks for input :D

:wave:

So far so good...........

these were taken yesterday, some of the ONE HOUR into the process!!!!! Fickle little beasties!!!!!

Bonding.jpg

Bonding1.jpg

Bonding2.jpg

Hope the photos ping up ok I'm not very good with the technology!!!!

:wave: Yay, can see them a bit better on here rather than my mobile, but it has been lovely seeing updates.:love::love:

They look very cosy there and I guess these are when Isaac is behaving himself :lol:

Your hay looks really nice, where is it from?

I draw the line at photos of mounting!!!!!!
Hay is oxbow timothy. I don't usually use so much of it and use cheap and cheapful stuff under paw but thought the bonding was important and they've been noming it which was very much the point!!!!
I feel a bit deflated tonight, I thought things were going so well although I know it's early days. I'm only planning to kip with them again tonight and then they'll be unsuperivsed!!!!! EEK!!!!
They are getting 4ftx5ft for as long as they need less space. I'm in no hurray to give them the whole shed and am happy for the second phase to take weeks. I'll exercise them in the pen on the lawn even until they have a week in bunny hotel in a month (yes I'm stressed about them going to bunny hotel a month after they've started bonding but what can you do!!!!
Oh I'm more stressed than the blooming rabbits!!!! Broken sleep doesn't suit me!!!! :(

Aw, you have waited so patiently to bond them and it looks and sounds like it is going really well. Isaac humping is just part of the course and Buttons will let him know when she has had enough.;)

Hopefully they will be well and truly bonded in a month.:love:

I've had the Oxbow before but my lot aren't fussed. Just waiting for a delivery from hay for pets (meadow hay as already have some INGS).

:wave: Did they enjoy their car ride? Have they settled in the shed now?

Photos very cute again this morning.:p

She scrabbled most of the car ride but he was Mister Chill at the back of the travel box. We got home and went straight out into the shed. It was decked out with some poo trays and lots of hay and a tunnel she can hide if if needed. They;ve been fine all afternoon. He's let her sleep, they've cuddled up, they've both eaten well and used their trays.
They quite clearly want to be alone and Buttons especially looks very much at ease!!!!
So all in all phase 1 as success.
Phase 2 will be in the half the shed until maybe Sunday or Monday depending on how they're doing. I'ld love to get them out on the garden for some grazing once they're settled but in their pen rather than free range.....I will just have to play it by ear.
I'll up load todays photos a bit later maybe after I've taken a few more!!!!!!

:love:

Congratulations lovely buns been ready your thread for any tips im starting to bond my bunrabs next thursday hopefully :love: im soooo excited x

Back