• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

indoor versus outdoor buns....

shell1805

Mama Doe
what do you feel are the pro's for each??? :wave:

i've never had an outdoor bun, so was wondering, isthe bond as strong as with an indoor bun??

just my sunday musings :)

xx

Indoor- be with them more
no need for insultion in winter
Setup (mainly) cheaper to buy

Outdoor (I preffer)- Have no poo in your house
- More natural for the bunnies
- Can be on your own for abit

:wave:

I have outdoor buns cos my OH is allergic to some animal fur.

For indoor

I think my bond would be stronger if they were indoor.
Changing iced up water bowls during the night in winter and warmer for buns.

eta - forgot to say, cheaper set up costs and less worrying about security

For outdoor

don't know if I could cope with the digging/pooing- shed/run easier to clean.
my house might be too warm for them at times.
Chewing of cables/furniture
They can go into their run at night if they want to
I think mine prefer outdoor, prob just because that is what they have been used to though.

I've only ever had Buckley and he's always been indoors. I prefer it because he's always there.
I like being around him and seeing all the little things he does, his little routines. I love how when I wake up in the morning his face is there, staring up at me like "bwekfist timez?"

I think one of the positives of having an indoor bun is that weather doesn't affect the portion of your day you spend with them. If Buckley was an outdoor bun and it was blazing sunshine I don't think I would be out with him as much as I can't cope with heat. Whereas with him being indoors we both flop out on my bed with the fan on, being equally irritated by the heat :lol::lol:

I don't think I could afford Buckley to be outdoors. His set up cost me about 50 quid including toys and stuff. If he was outdoors it would've cost so much more, plus an outdoor set up is a lot less mobile and a decent sized outdoor set up isn't exactly going to fit in the back of my 1994 vw polo when term starts!

Last edited:
I've only ever had Buckley and he's always been indoors. I prefer it because he's always there.
I like being around him and seeing all the little things he does, his little routines. I love how when I wake up in the morning his face is there, staring up at me like "bwekfist timez?"

I think one of the positives of having an indoor bun is that weather doesn't affect the portion of your day you spend with them. If Buckley was an outdoor bun and it was blazing sunshine I don't think I would be out with him as much as I can't cope with heat. Whereas with him being indoors we both flop out on my bed with the fan on, being equally irritated by the heat :lol::lol:

me, bella and jasper are with you on the heat issue :) my OH was laughing the other day because he came home and there was me, my dog bentley and bella all lying on the sofa with the fan on us.... bliss :D

I have both indoor and outdoor buns and I agree the indoor ones get more attention :(

ofcours ethey outdoor ones get fuss to but the the bad weather obviously we stay indoors more x

me, bella and jasper are with you on the heat issue :) my OH was laughing the other day because he came home and there was me, my dog bentley and bella all lying on the sofa with the fan on us.... bliss :D

Do they kick you do make you move up too? Buckley sticks his back legs out further and pokes me repeatedly until I move :lol:

Do they kick you do make you move up too? Buckley sticks his back legs out further and pokes me repeatedly until I move :lol:

bella just crawls up me and flops on my chest when she is hot and wants to get to the fan :roll: she gets really dopey in the heat bless her :lol:

I'll be back on this thread later ... need to pay a social call on the other bunny in my life. ;):love:

When my two were indoors, I loved it that I could always see them and check on them all the time I am in.

But now they are outdoors, I love them even more. I love watching them run round the garden, enjoying even more space. It is easier for me to clean them out outside without making a mess in the house too!

I have both indoor and outdoor buns.

I love all my buns but definately have a better relationship with Molly and Marble who live indoors. We can spend all day together whatever the weather, they fit in with our family routine and they are very good at keeping me company and making me feel safe. I can excuse them the stray poops, doesnt happen often, and the chewing because they are wonderful for my mental health. As for not being natural, Marble has been a house rabbit since he was a baby and doesnt know any different. Molly was a Lymington bun and lived in appaling conditions. When I adopted her I made her a promise that she would always be warm and comfortable, never wet and cold, and having her indoors makes that easier.

None of my outdoor buns are cuddle buns and Leo and Lila especially dont like being handled. Peter and Posy will tolerate it. I still know them very well and would be able to pick up if something wasnt right but I am happy to let them be what they are, rabbits. I enjoy making their lives as happy as possible and enjoy watching them.

If I was in the terrible position of having to choose indoor or outdoor buns only I would have to choose indoor. I will never be without a house bun again.

To be honest, I think the pros and cons depend on the bunny. My outside ones do get less attention for me, but they don't need it or want it or are particularly interested in me. They all have at least one friend. Some of my outside ones have the biggest problems (talking behaviour wise) and bringing them inside would exaccerbate those problems.

My singles get most attention and also my buns who need to be medicated. All of whom are inside. They are easy to get to, easy to reach and happier. Some of those if I put them outside it would exaccerbate their health problems or make them unhappy (Sky in particular gets exceptionally depressed outside, and nowadays he also gets terrified- yes, he is agoraphobic).

So the pros and cons vary bunny to bunny, I think :)

I've never had an indoor bun so wouldn't know about strength of bond. I know I wouldn't let an outdoor bunny be single, I'd always keep them in pairs or groups, because I never spend enough time with them to replace another bunny as companion.

I do love my rabbits, but I don't spend a lot of time with them, maybe only half an hour to an hour every day, only really to feed, clean out and move them from hutch to run, but that's about it. I know they are happy without my company because they have each other and lots of exciting toys to play with, and hay to forage in. I certainly don't think they are deprived of anything by me not giving them more of my time.

I agree with Sky-O (as usual!). My lops love company and would be lost outside without a lot of human interaction, Nutmeg hates noises and never settles when outside, Smudge gets easily spooked.

I prefer having them inside personally as I find it easier to keep clean, I can't do much outside when it's cold sadly. I get to spend lots of time with them, I pick up on illness quicker, less likelihood of predators. Mine get to go outside supervised and they are content with this.

well ive had both so heres what my experience has taught me:

Indoors:
Become more sociable
dont have to worry about them in winter being outside
can keep eye on health better
CUDDLES:love:

bad points- hay it seems to find its way everywhere:lol::roll: but i dont mind:D

Outdoors:
no hay in house
no stray poos in house
can give them more room outside i suppose

cant think of anything else lol

personally i love having a house bun. its my first one and i love every minute- even when he wakes me up at 5am for more hay:roll:

I've never had long term indoor buns, just ones who were recovering from an op or ill. I can see that being indoors would mean a closer bond and it's nicer and easier to look after them if ill.
Mine are outdoor/ in a shed but live in pairs/ trio so have company. Having 15 sanctuary buns it's easier to supply more space and clean then if outdoors.:)

Oh, and I'm allergic to hay and suffer enough with the chinchillas indoors!:lol:

I have an indoor bun who just goes outside occasionally, she's very cuddly and we have a very strong bond. I'm a bit worried, I'm moving house and preparing for her to move outside as I'll be renting and she has a taste for carpet... I'm going to get her a friend for company but think maybe our bond won't be so strong :(

A bit selfish on my part really!

I have an indoor bun who just goes outside occasionally, she's very cuddly and we have a very strong bond. I'm a bit worried, I'm moving house and preparing for her to move outside as I'll be renting and she has a taste for carpet... I'm going to get her a friend for company but think maybe our bond won't be so strong :(

A bit selfish on my part really!

i dont think that is selfish at all, i would be devestated if bella had to go outside and we lost the bond we have now.

ive only ever had indoor buns, and i dont think i would ever have it any other way. the hay and random poops can be a pain (especially whe you are barefoot, those poops can hurt :lol: ) but the pros far weigh out the cons for me :) i love nothing more than being at home sat on the floor with my buns binkying about for attention :)

I like to think Gertie has the best of both worlds - she's out in the garden all day and in again at night. I've had several of both types - indoors and out - over the years, but I can't bear the thought of her going to actually live outside now. She seems to love our company and I'd miss and worry about her out there all alone. :oops: Besides, even if I did want her to move outside, her daddy would never let that happen! :lol:

Back