• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Those who have chose NOT to vaccinate

Status
Not open for further replies.

emmiiee

Warren Veteran
Has anyone on here choosen not to vacinate their buns

and why???

also are they single buns or groups etc?

Unless they have an illness/weak disposition stopping them being vaccinated (I know there are a fair few on here that might not survive the vaccs themselves) then I don't think there is any valid reason not to vaccinate them. The only reason I can think not to would be a selfish monetary reason. :?

Unless they have an illness/weak disposition stopping them being vaccinated (I know there are a fair few on here that might not survive the vaccs themselves) then I don't think there is any valid reason not to vaccinate them. The only reason I can think not to would be a selfish monetary reason. :?

Agreed.

Vaccination is so very important.
If I couldn't afford vaccinations then I shouldn't have rabbits. It's that simple for me

:thumb:

its not about not affording them

ive heard that buns who have HAD the jabs getting the actual illness

whereas buns that have never had vax, never getting ill :/

I chose not to vaccinate Badger when he was at his illest because I felt it would be detrimental to him. I chose not to vaccinate SwishWish while she was vulnerable, but now she is fully vaccinated.

Last week I got a bill for £345 for my July vaccinations (which is my cheap set :lol: 16 myxos and 3 VHDs- January is 16 myxos and 13 VHDs). That amount already put aside went on emergencies in July, so it's an ouch, but I would never not vaccinate a healthy rabbit. I would never want to be in a situation where one of my rabbits got ill and it was MY fault for not vaccinating.

I just ask what is best for my bunnies. For most, that is vaccinating, for the odd few, that is not vaccinating.

You will get exceptions to every rule.

With Myxo, because the vaccine is not made from the actual illness, they can still catch Myxo, but when vaccinated, with a bit of luck, you can nurse them through it. That's exceptionally unlikely if they are not vaccinated.

ive heard that buns who have HAVE the jabs getting the actual illness

A bun who has been vaccinated against Myxi is likely to make a full recovery. A bun who hasn't been vaccinated against Myxi is almost certainly going to die....and it isn't pretty. I helped nurse a gorgeous boy who had full blown myxi. (He had the jab but developed no immunity) I can't get the image of how he was out of my head. It was heart breaking. Just as it looked as though he was making a slight recovery he died.
It's NOT worth the risk!

If a bun is vaccinated against VHD then they won't get it, full stop!

Do you not vaccinate Emmie?

It's not as simple as that.

Those who vaccinate are likely to be the people, like us, on rabbit forums. As such, we hear a lot more about the cases of vaccinated buns getting myxi.

I can't speak for buns that have never been vacc'd never getting ill because I haven't seen or heard of bunnies like that.

What I can say is that those that don't vaccinate and have rabbits in the bottom of the garden, how many of those unvaccinated rabbits do you think we will hear about that died of myxi or vhd? a very very very small proportion. because in general, those who don't vaccinate either because they don't know they need to or don't care enough to spend the money to vacc don't frequent forums like this, so we don't hear about them

The way I see it is that I want the best chance of a long life for my bunnies... so in it's simplest form that means good diet, spaying/neutering, and vaccinating.

Plus, there's 6 months between each set of vaccinations so it's not like I don't have time to save up for them :)

A bun who has been vaccinated against Myxi is likely to make a full recovery. A bun who hasn't been vaccinated against Myxi is almost certainly going to die....and it isn't pretty. I helped nurse a gorgeous boy who had full blown myxi. (He had the jab but developed no immunity) I can't get the image of how he was out of my head. It was heart breaking. Just as it looked as though he was making a slight recovery he died.
It's NOT worth the risk!

If a bun is vaccinated against VHD then they won't get it, full stop!

Do you not vaccinate Emmie?

at present none of mine have ever been or are vac, and none have caught any illness(may just be luck)

at the moment im in the middle of neutering them all (bar 1) 5 are done, 2 are waiting untill their 6 months(sept time)

After that I plan to bond a quad and re-bond a pair) and then vac

IF the quad bond I will get them vac in 2s, to spread the cost out

and then slot the pair and single bun together

I just need to get everything sorted out money wise!

Have bedroom fureture to pay for, them 2 spays, then the kennel for the quad then xmas, so by next year hopefully if nothing else crops up I should be able to plan to save for vac

I'd say vaccinating is one of the most important things you should do....not something that's way down the list after new bedroom furniture.:|

If they did catch something then it'd be Game over....:(

Should vaccinating not be something that should be factored into the running costs when taking on new rabbits though? So shouldn't that already be in your plan?

What happens if in the meantime one of them, or even all of them, get ill with those illnesses and you will know you could have potentially prevented or eased them, then what?

at present none of mine have ever been or are vac, and none have caught any illness(may just be luck)

at the moment im in the middle of neutering them all (bar 1) 5 are done, 2 are waiting untill their 6 months(sept time)

After that I plan to bond a quad and re-bond a pair) and then vac

IF the quad bond I will get them vac in 2s, to spread the cost out

and then slot the pair and single bun together

I just need to get everything sorted out money wise!

Have bedroom fureture to pay for, them 2 spays, then the kennel for the quad then xmas, so by next year hopefully if nothing else crops up I should be able to plan to save for vac

Your priorities should be

vaccinations, 2 spays, kennel for the quad, christmas, bedroom furniture

Mine are only just being vaccinated and I've got 9 of them. They're not rabbits who are dumped in a hutch at the bottom of the garden and ignored, but I've never deemed them to be high risk and none of them have ever had anything. So it is more than possible to have unvaccinated rabbits who don't get ill and die from things that could have been prevented. I still don't deem them to be high risk, but I do think the diseases are becoming more widespread and I don't want to wait until there's stuff on the doorstep before I do vaccinate.

I'd say vaccinating is one of the most important things you should do....not something that's way down the list after new bedroom furniture.:|

If they did catch something then it'd be Game over....:(

im currently living in the lounge whilst 3 bedrooms get moved around! I HAVE to get new furneture in order to move in! which should be by sept time!

I have no choice as my mum wants me out the lounge as soon as!

im currently living in the lounge whilst 3 bedrooms get moved around! I HAVE to get new furneture in order to move in! which should be by sept time!

I have no choice as my mum wants me out the lounge as soon as!

Surely you had a bed before you ended up in the lounge? :wave:

Well, they're your buns, so your choice how high you priorities them.

Surely you had a bed before you ended up in the lounge? :wave:

Well, they're your buns, so your choice how high you priorities them.

its been dismantled and off to the tip weeks ago! It was a case of once if was taken down it would never have gone up again! it was a wooden cabin thing that was knakerd!! held in place with gaffer tape!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back