• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bunnies not eating

della

New Kit
hi, i have introduced myself and this is my 2nd post. :wave:

i think my question belongs here.

just giving the background v.quickly. i have 2 rabbits which are somewhere between dwarf lop and giant lop. one boy, one girl. they were born sometime in late november and i got them just before xmas 2010. the boy (kenan) was neutered in late feb as he decided he wanted to make babies with the girl (kel) and i couldnt cope with bunny babies.

once the op was completed they were both reintroduced and got on as well as before and groomed each other. there was one incident of fighting when they were first put back together where kenan somehow pierced kel's ear. but this was the last of the behaviour of this kind.

just a couple of days ago, i started noticing kel coming to me with fur in her mouth. then i saw her pinching fur from kenan's head and body. not just once or twice but several times. kenan was quite jumpy around her, and there were times where kenan would be sat up and kel would bend right underneath him and try to butt him. i intervened and took kenan out and put him in the indoor cage that i have. i kept them apart that night. i contacted the vet and got kel in for a spay on wednesday.

both bunnies, now apart, are not eating and i dont know what to do. they are clearly quite depressed.
i have been changing them round every night as the indoor cage is not very large.
i have even took the indoor cage outside and put it next to the hutch where the other bunny is so they can see each other if they want to.

i would like some advice regarding the not eating thing. im very concerned that they are behaving like this.

can anyone help?

I'm not an expert but it sounds like a phantom pregnancy but if she is now being spayed that will get rid of phantom babys but I have no idea apart for them being deppresed why they are not eating but good luck hope you find out what is wrong soon :)

well i am considering the phantom thing, but no nest was made. kel was not taking fur from herself, only from kenan.

if it truly is phantom then should i be keeping them apart?

any ideas?

An unspayed doe can be very hirmonal and territorial, I think this is most probably why shes showimg aggression to him. It is a good idea to keep them seperate until after she is spayed and recovered now.

How long have they not eaten for? They obviously miss eachother so ideally try and keep them next to eachother so they can see/smell eachother but she cant harm him :wave:

they dont seem to have touched their food for 3 days. since they were seperated.
they have picked and poked at it, and havent had more than a handful of food since then. they usually share 2 bowls of pelleted food and one bowl of fresh vegetables per day with a handful of grass or hay. and that is all eaten.

Back