• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Clicker training

Here is how I did it with mine.

I started using their pellets or some very small pieces of carrot. As they were eating them out of my hand I would click. To make the clicking sound I used a dog clicker from the pet shop. I then put my hand behind my back. When I put it out again and they came to eat from my hand again they got a click. I did this about ten times a few times a day. Long enough for them to get the idea without them getting bored.

I then introduced them to a target - a small kong stuck on the end of a willow stick. (doesn't need to be anything special!). Being inquisitive they came to investigate it and when they touched it with their nose they immediately got a click then a treat. The idea is that you can click at the exact moment you see the behaviour you want and they know they've done the right thing and their reward is coming.

I was utterly amazed at how quickly they came to associate the target and treat. Once they came to it in one place I started moving it around and they would follow me. We've also been teaching them to stand on their hind legs which came in useful for checking my girl's scar after her op without having to lift her.

Next I tried it outside and I was amazed that they still came. I did use banana to give some extra encouragement!! It is a work in progress but even after a break they remember what to do to get the treat.

I have ordered a clicker and am going to try this as I have a new large girl coming tomorrow so I'm imagining she is going to grow too big to carry so thought the training might come in handy. I'm excited

Back