• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Insurances

TriL1

Warren Scout
Hi all, I have two bunnies both of them I have insurance that I have taken out with Pet Plan and was going to sign up with a vet where you pay x amount each month to get their injections done for the year plus you get teeth checks included with what you pay each month. I am actually starting to wonder if I would be better off just opening a savings acount as I would now be paying out over £30 per month and im just thinking if they need anything doing with their teeth or anything at all I dont have any spare money plus I still will have to come up with the excess money if something (hopefully doesnt) go wrong with them.xx

If I have a savings account there will always be money there for teeth checks, or if they do need anything. I am also eligible for the PDSA which if I did need to go to them obviously I would pay anything that I could towards any costs if my bunnies needed help?

Just wanted a few replies on peoples thoughts on if you think I should stay with Pet plan or go alone with a savings account??x:wave:

Do both. If you want to leave the insurance, start saving now and when you have a large amount saved up then you could quit the insurance and start saving the money instead. I would make sure you have MINIMUM £500 per bunny before you stop petplan though, preferably more.

I would also NEVER quit the insurance unless I had a regular income with a secure job. Because if one of the buns gets a long-term illness like arthiritus, snuffles, or has episodes of stasis, treatment is likely to be thousands over their life. Plus once they have an illness, if you went back on the insurance it would not be covered.

It's a huge gamble. I insured Artie 2.5 years ago then decided to cancel during the cooling off period as he wasn't insured for stasis anyway so I thought it would be better to put money away. Since then 2 years ago he needed bladder surgery £336, 3 weeks ago he had kidney surgery £844 and today he's having a kidney removed ?£350 ish. Insurance would have been about £120 a year. However one of the other bunnies I didn't insure at the time (and is now insured) has never needed any treatment. If you can find the money in a crisis then no insurance may be a gamble that pays but if not .......

You should keep enough money set asside to cover the cost of the excess and probably a routine dental too but savings accounts don't work for chronic conditions. The money runs out and then you are stuffed.

If you can't afford to pay out £2k for vet treatment then you need insurance.

Also, please bear in mind that with insurance you usually claim the money back after the treatment, so depending on your vet you may have to pay them before the insurance money comes through. So its important to make sure you have enough to cover the treatment at first, and of course the excess.

Back