• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Broken claw, how urgent?

KoShiatar

Mama Doe
Maia has broken a claw. She has bled a little, but seems to have stopped; she still limps though. How soon does she need to see a vet?

I wouldnt say at all.If its no longer bleeding.
My vet tells me to dip the claw in flour if Ive cut too short.Is this the same sort of scenario??

Looks like, although you can see the claw sticking out and looking funny. But I have no liquid antiseptic, what can I use? :/

maisey riped all of her back claws off once and there was alot of blood. I wrapped her in a towl and squeezed the towl to her feet. After about 5 mins the bleeding had stopped. All your bunny has done is ripped his claw off down to the quick :)

Looks like, although you can see the claw sticking out and looking funny. But I have no liquid antiseptic, what can I use? :/

Do you know how she did it? Do you think she could have dislocated or broken her toe as well?

I would sterilise if you can, dip in corn flour and then wait till morning. If its still sticking out or the foot is otherwise looking abnormal then I'd ring the vet :)

MY friends rabbits toe looks like this and her broke his toe :?
If he isnt in pain then se how he is in the morning :)

hmm doesnt look right. I agree, see how it is in the morning, if its no better ring the vet and ask them if they think its important to get it sorted or if it can wait till monday.

If it is broken, dislocated, then it is important to not let it heal wrong.

She'll probably feel a lot better now the claw is out as it's not there to catch :)

Lola did this a month or so back, by twisting as she ran off from me. She wouldn't put a great deal of weight down to start with, but when the claw went she did. The vet couldn't feel any broken bits :)

Pierre did this couple of weeks ago. He ran down the stairs and snapped it off. He bled absolutely everywhere, my carpet is still stained. I was so scared, I rang the emergency vets and they told me that if it had stopped bleeding it should heal fine.

I took him to my vets the next day and they took a look made sure it was fine. They gave him two injections to stop infection. It looks fine at the moment and they just said to keep an eye on it and if it grows back awkwardly get them to have a look at it again.

If you are still worried I would take to the vets for your own piece of mind to make sure everything is ok. :)

Back