• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is rabbit poop un hygienic ??

whitehood

Warren Veteran
My cousin said it is, and it spreads diseases.. And tried to explain using yahoo answers ??

He said he's going to report me to the RSPCA .. :?
Don't think he was serious about that though.

He said I should clean it up everyday

Ye in that it is poo which will attract flies which in turn do spread diesease. They are of course also responsible for fly strike

I think you shoudl clean it up every day as it will attract flies if you leave it. Nobody likes living in their own mess anyway! BUT I highly doubt it will do anything to you, if you take care to wash your hands after handling it.

My cousin said it is, and it spreads diseases.. And tried to explain using yahoo answers ??

He said he's going to report me to the RSPCA .. :?
Don't think he was serious about that though.

He said I should clean it up everyday

I think your cousin is mis-informed and overreacting!!

It is not like dog poop as rabbits are herbivorous so the faecal environment is not as hospitable for bacteria growth.

However, I think that if your rabbits are using a litter tray/area of their hutch you should clear it up every day as it can attract flies, especially in this weather, which will put your bunnies at risk of flystrike

But, if it is just a few odd poos dotted about that you have missed with the hoover (a common occurence in my house :lol:), I don't think it is the end of the world.

Last edited:
My neighbour comments on rabbit poo in my garden and tells us to pick it up because its unhygenic. yet he leaves his dogs poos out in his garden and they absolutely stink in this hot weather. :roll:

I sweep them up if Don has been in his run as they're pretty easy to get but if he's been in the garden or there are a few I have missed, my mom gets the lawn mower out lol :) That gets rid of them :D (Probably just mushes them up and spreads them out but they're gone so :)

I don't bother with poops on the grass, bunny poo is a lot cleaner than cat or dog poop as, after all, rabbits eat mainly grass and hay so their poop is mainly tiny bits of grass and hay!

Hardly. There's always the odd poop on the floor that I've missed and I've not died from it yet :lol:
Yeah it's not clean, but it's not gonna harm you. There's been a few people on here whose kids have eaten rabbit poop and they're fine

I don't think there's any disease that can spread from rabbit poo to humans, is there? Cat/dog poo is much more dangerous.

Pffft I find rabbit poops in my BED sometimes, a special present the buns leave me.

I pick the poops around my room up most days, but sometimes I'm tired and dont bother. The poops are mainly made up of indigestible fibre. When in a litter tray they are kept damp and warm, so then they are unhygenic if left, but just dry ones? More harmless than most of the germs you bring in on your shoes.

I'd probably sweep them up once or twice a week if they were on the grass, just so the bunnies are running on grass not poo! I probably wouldnt bother in winter as the rain will break it down. Doesnt have to be spotless - at the end of the day its good fertiliser!

Rabbit poop on the grass = grass fertiliser. It's as good as horse manure!

If you ATE a rabbit poop, sure it wouldn't taste nice, but you would be fine! There are have been several posts on here of people having kids eating bunny poops thinking they're raisins or chocolate, does absolutely no harm as it's mostly made up of hay!

I would explain to your misinformed cousin the difference between herbivore and omnivore/carnivore poops. You could fall face first into rabbit or horse poop and all you would need is a shower. Fall face first into dog poop and you'd need some serious medical care and if it got into your eyes the bacteria could make you go blind.

This is why horse poop is used in manure fertilisers for your garden. And dog poop isn't, in fact its more likely to kill your plants.

Bad bacteria only exists in a meat-eaters poop!

Thanks, he was just being a Di:censored:k :shock:
He said he was going to report me..
And kept saying eat rabbit poop.. Started to get on my nerves, so I ignored him.

Thanks, he was just being a Di:censored:k :shock:
He said he was going to report me..
And kept saying eat rabbit poop.. Started to get on my nerves, so I ignored him.

Tell him to report you. Then watch with amusement as the RSPCA officers laugh at him down the phone line!

Back