• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

nethie feeding question

Lolly's mum

Mama Doe
i've just adopted two nethies (first ive had) and was a bit unsure as to the amount of dry food to give. i went onto a nethie rabbits website that suggested 2-3 ounces per rabbit, per day.

i measured out and weighed this amount and it seems like a huge amount, even Barnes would have struggled and he was a strapping yorkshire bun!

the two nethies i have don't seem too keen on veggies but i tried them on a little bit of spinach and broccoli which was eaten up, i am told they like pak choi so i got some today. i also got some parsley to tempt them.

any advice on feeding would be greatly appreciated.

em x

:wave: Mine have always had a small handful of pellets per pair per day, and then veg in the evening...and hay/grass all the time, of course :) I think to a certain extent it's trial and error, making sure that they retain about the right bodyweight but also making sure that they eat lots of hay - especially important for nethies as they can be more prone to dental problems.

Have they settled in well?

:wave: Mine have always had a small handful of pellets per pair per day, and then veg in the evening...and hay/grass all the time, of course :) I think to a certain extent it's trial and error, making sure that they retain about the right bodyweight but also making sure that they eat lots of hay - especially important for nethies as they can be more prone to dental problems.

Have they settled in well?

i hope they have , it's only been 24hrs since they arrived. Edward is known as Edward-the-brave as he is very bold, Bella is Bella-the-scaredy-bun, much more timid, and i'm Emmy-the worried-mum!
ex m

i've just adopted two nethies (first ive had) and was a bit unsure as to the amount of dry food to give. i went onto a nethie rabbits website that suggested 2-3 ounces per rabbit, per day.

i measured out and weighed this amount and it seems like a huge amount, even Barnes would have struggled and he was a strapping yorkshire bun!

the two nethies i have don't seem too keen on veggies but i tried them on a little bit of spinach and broccoli which was eaten up, i am told they like pak choi so i got some today. i also got some parsley to tempt them.

any advice on feeding would be greatly appreciated.

em x

:wave: what did their previous owner say to feed them?? it's best at the minute to stick to what they are used to and then introduce/ change things slowly :)

Mine have a handful a day. I feed that much to my mini rex as well.. I wouldn't feed any rabbit more than a handful a day unless there's a specific reason.

Back