• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A Note on Long Term Rabbits

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
Some of you will have seen that Bouncer looks as if he has a home at last..yippee!:D
He has been with us a very long time, as have some of our others.
We gets lots of comments along the lines of " isn't it sad " and " I feel so sorry for him/her/them"
It is true we want to see them in great forever homes, but please try to look at it another way.
Many rescues, and not ones on here I hope!, put to sleep animals that are considered unhomable or simply long termers..so dental bunnies, aggressive ones ( often simply because they need neutering), plain agouti or rews, simply " disappear"
We do not do this.
Rabbits like Bouncer are completely safe once handed in to us. If they are overlooked they stay.
So when you see rescues with long term animals..be it rabbits, dogs or horses..yes please consider adopting one..but also instead of thinking maybe the rescue isn't doing enough to home that animal, be thankful that rescue has the policies it does and the animal is where it is, alive and well looked after.

Last edited:
Yes you are absolutely right. It's sad, because they are amanzing bunnies and would bring lots of joy to the right family and are missing out on having a loving home. I sure I speak for all in saying that that is a far better situation than the bunny being PTS. Well done to all the resuces that continue to look after the long term bunsters :D

Some of you will have seen that Bouncer looks as if he has a home at last..yippee!:D
He has been with us a very long time, as have some of our others.
We gets lots of comments along the lines of " isn't it sad " and " I feel so sorry for him/her/them"
It is true we want to see them in great forever homes, but please try to look at it another way.
Many rescues, and not ones on here I hope!, put to sleep animals that are considered unhomable or simply long termers..so dental bunnies, aggressive ones ( often simply because they need neutering), plain agouti or rews, simply " disappear"
We do not do this.
Rabbits like Bouncer are completely safe once handed in to us. If they are overlooked they stay.
So when you see rescues with long term animals..be it rabbits, dogs or horses..yes please consider adopting one..but also instead of thinking maybe the rescue isn't doing enough to home that animal, be thankful that animal is where it is ..alive and well looked after.

i never blame the rescues for the long timers not getting rehomed and i know you as rescues always do your best for the animals concerned. I give you credit for that- so nice post :wave:

Well said. After my first pair (which may I add I just asked the rescue for a pair of rabbits, I had no requirements apart from nothing too sick etc with them being my first) after that I have taken long termers/those with issues and I don't regret it one bit.

I agree entirely with what you have said.

Everytime I adopt a new furry friend, I always ask to have one that has either been there too long and always overlooked, or one that is going to struggle finding a new home for one reason or another.

Everytime I have been rewarded by having wonderful little friends.

I will always stick with this, why should I need to change? No reason.

Good post. :thumb:

I didn't know REWS were overlooked until long after I got Spenser, although funnily enough my Mum, now one of Spenser's biggest fans, had mentioned that she didn't much like the idea of me having a REW.

Fabulous to hear he has found a forever home :D

We have often rehomed animals based on the fact that they have been the longest resident in a rescue (as long as we have the expertise to care for them) often a great personality is over looked due to their appearance.

It is heartwarming to hear that these animals have a safe and loving home with yourself until they find their (hopefully) forever families.

what a good post Jill ..and every word so so true .

There are a few rescues i know who dont have any long term bunnies ...a sad thought that it isnt because they are good at rehoming :(...but this certainly does happen and not just in rabbit rescues .

We have a non destruct policy ... which means we NEVER pts unless the animal is suffering .
Shame more rescues arnt the same :(

I can never really understand why some buns seem to stay for ages in rescues and others are rehomed quickly.

Both my bridge buns Peggy and Sue had been at BARC for a fair while before I adopted them and they were gorgeous bunsters - pretty and with lovely personalities, yet they had been repeatedly overlooked.

It is sad in some ways that long termers are there. People are guilty of anthropomorphism in that they say the animals are 'looking for their forever home'. In reality the animals in decent rescues or foster homes have no idea that they were 'unwanted' and that nobody is taking interest in them. So yes it is sad that they're overlooked but the rabbits are happy with the love and care and attention that the rescues/fosterers give and are happy enough to wait there until a suitable forever home comes up :)

Glad he's found a home though :)

I find it really sad any animal is in rescue for any reason, but the ones who are long term, at least they are getting to live their lives with love and comfort.Makes me think of something when an animal gets PTS just because.......
Take a look at this.Its an essay by Jim Willis."How could you"
http://jimwillis0.tripod.com/tiergarten/id21.html

Well said, totally agree. Glad Bouncer has hopefully found a home, i do believe the right home is out there for everybun. We have a few long termers at the moment, but their home will come along. Breaks my heart to think of rescues putting animals to sleep for no reason.

i never feel sorry for bunnies in rescues, i actually feel guilty ive taken buns away from such a great place and i doubt i could ever offer the same level of devotion :wave:

Hope bouncer loves his new home as much as his current home :love:

Back