• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long do you wait before taking to vet when not eating?

AnnieElms

Mama Doe
One of my fosters is refusing her brekkie today, and can't be tempted with anything :(. My immediate instinct in this situation is to book a vet appointment for the earliest time possible, which I have done. Whilst waiting I have given her some tummy massages and syringed water.

I was wondering whether this is right, or whether others leave it a bit longer? I am so paranoid about bunnies going downhill so quickly, that I just want vet help straight away, but perhaps I should be giving the buns more time to pick up by themselves before stressing them with travel and drugs.

How long do you leave it?

Last edited:
With my buns I book as soon as possible to make sure I can get an appointment, as they fill up very quickly.

I don't tend to leave it more than an hour anyway.

Hope your little one picks up quickly.

With it being a Saturday, I would do exactly the same thing you've done.
Usually, I syringe water, do the tummy rubs every half hour for an hour and then think about vets. However, they close early today, so would get them there asap.
Hope everything's ok, and she starts feeling better soon.

I'd not leave it as it's the weekend too.

If it were normal vet hours in the week, I may be tempted to leave my own rabbits a bit longer but not fosters or boarders.

I know my own rabbits so well that I would probably try and monitor for a few hours, but only if I knew for certain the last time I saw them eat and poo. I can decern my rabbits poos at 40 paces so that helps.

Hope the bunny is okay.

I tend to take them as soon as I know something isn't right. Sending vibes for your little foster bunny x

I take them as soon as I've noticed they're not eating, especially on a weekend. Hope your bunny will be ok xx

It depends on when they've last ate. With Smudge I used to ring as soon as he started refusing and then give it an hour if he'd had something within the last few hours. He normally does it in the evening though after the vets have shut so we had to go emergency. but now as we have meds at home I give him some as soon as he starts refusing food. My vet is happy for me to give him meds and if he's not right by the morning take him to the usual vet.

Thanks everyone. I'm glad you would all do the same :). Sometimes I feel like I live at the vet's :lol:. I am taking her at 11.30, so just off to get sorted now.

Thanks for the vibes. I will update when we're back.

She's now had a shot of metoclopramide, and I'm to give her metacam and more metaclop at home. Hope she starts nomming again soon :)

She's now had a shot of metoclopramide, and I'm to give her metacam and more metaclop at home. Hope she starts nomming again soon :)

try nd tempt her with her favourite treats etc, i also get hem in vets as soon as i know something is wrong, i found locksley in distress in morning, refusing too eat got him in for 10mins after i found him, but i was sadly too late as it was all too much for my poor boy :cry:

try nd tempt her with her favourite treats etc, i also get hem in vets as soon as i know something is wrong, i found locksley in distress in morning, refusing too eat got him in for 10mins after i found him, but i was sadly too late as it was all too much for my poor boy :cry:

I'm so sorry about Locksley. They do deteriorate so quickly don't they :(.

Bella has just eaten some dandelion and hay. Good signs :)

You did the right thing :) I hope she picks up soon.

Personally, it varies rabbit to rabbit, situation to situation and what the symptoms are alongside not eating, as to how fast I react, but I never not do anything. I have drugs here I administer on vets advice, at the very least.

I'm so sorry about Locksley. They do deteriorate so quickly don't they :(.

Bella has just eaten some dandelion and hay. Good signs :)

thats a good sign, mabel was also like this the other week, but soon picked up with seeing vets and getting her meds

You did the right thing :) I hope she picks up soon.

Personally, it varies rabbit to rabbit, situation to situation and what the symptoms are alongside not eating, as to how fast I react, but I never not do anything. I have drugs here I administer on vets advice, at the very least.

Thank you :)

I said to the vet that he must feel like he never gets rid of me (my own bunnies have a few health issues, and now the fosters too), and he said he was just pleased that I care for them so much and spot the signs early. It made me feel better. He also said I could keep some of the medicines at home and administer them myself if I feel it's appropriate, although of course I would always take a bun to the surgery if I felt they weren't improving quickly :)

Thank you :)

I said to the vet that he must feel like he never gets rid of me (my own bunnies have a few health issues, and now the fosters too), and he said he was just pleased that I care for them so much and spot the signs early. It made me feel better. He also said I could keep some of the medicines at home and administer them myself if I feel it's appropriate, although of course I would always take a bun to the surgery if I felt they weren't improving quickly :)

Your vet sounds awesome :)

I have found that keeping meds at home has help lift the quality of care that i provide my rabbits no end. Predominantly I use Metacam, but I also use Sub Q fluids and have found that they are a life saver, so that would be one woth thinking about. I only give Sub Q by direct instructions from the vet for that particular animal and situation, but Metacam I have wide instructions and follow those.

Like Sky-O I have some metacam (and metaclop syrup) on hand at home. It's a lot easier to quickly give that when I spot the signs of Smudge in stasis rather than having to stress him even more with a half hour trip up the M20 to see the emergency vet!

Like Sky-O I have some metacam (and metaclop syrup) on hand at home. It's a lot easier to quickly give that when I spot the signs of Smudge in stasis rather than having to stress him even more with a half hour trip up the M20 to see the emergency vet!

Yes, I'd seen that other people do this. I didn't really want to ask the vet about it in case he didn't think I was capable :oops:. I was really pleased when he suggested it though! I don't think I'd manage sub-cut fluids yet (needles :shock:), but I am pleased that now I can be proactive myself when I spot an uncomfortable bunny :)

I'd not leave it as it's the weekend too.

If it were normal vet hours in the week, I may be tempted to leave my own rabbits a bit longer but not fosters or boarders.

I know my own rabbits so well that I would probably try and monitor for a few hours, but only if I knew for certain the last time I saw them eat and poo. I can decern my rabbits poos at 40 paces so that helps.

Hope the bunny is okay.

agree with this...

hope bun is ok xx

Back