• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Yuki update it's ec

little-laura

Wise Old Thumper
Hey guys the vets phoned to confirm it's ec :(

I don't know what to do with myself :(

Now Yuri is going to be treated too

I'm scared I'm going to lose them

awww honey massive hugs...

I know I'm silly for asking this but had they been panacured? reason I ask, is whilst panacurs not 100% effective, I've heard that it can lessen any strain should one occur.

I could be wrong but hopefully if they have been panacured, this may help.

Sending lots of vibes in any case x

They're both going to be on Panacur now, Yuki is also on Marbocyl and Metacam. We got the treatment started as soon as we noticed the signs, and Yuri hasn't shown any signs yet.

What is it that makes them say it is EC?

If it is genuinely actice EC (which is often misdiagnosed) then the evidence that is coming through at the moment says that Fenbendazole does not penetrate thhe bloodbrain barrier as needed and so doesn't target the brain as is needed. In the US they are using different drugs which they are finding more success with. If you are interested I can point you in the direction of a different forum who will give you different info so you can make decisions based on a wide variety of infos and sources.

What is it that makes them say it is EC?

If it is genuinely actice EC (which is often misdiagnosed) then the evidence that is coming through at the moment says that Fenbendazole does not penetrate thhe bloodbrain barrier as needed and so doesn't target the brain as is needed. In the US they are using different drugs which they are finding more success with. If you are interested I can point you in the direction of a different forum who will give you different info so you can make decisions based on a wide variety of infos and sources.

They did blood tests so they are pretty sure...
I have been told to give her panacur and keep that up

They did blood tests so they are pretty sure...
I have been told to give her panacur and keep that up

If it was an EC titre, then the majority of rabbits will test positive for it without showing any active symptoms because the majority of rabbits carry EC without being symptomatic (similar to how most rabbits carry pastuerella without showing any symptoms). That was why I asked. Some places say you can tell if it is active EC if you take two tests and the secon value is higher, but I personally have not heard of one test being conclusive.

Sorry, I realise it's not my place to say. I had stopped talking and commenting on EC threads because my views and knowledge differ. Good luck with Yuki and her recovery.

Last edited:
If it was an EC titre, then the majority of rabbits will test positive for it without showing any active symptoms because the majority of rabbits carry EC without being symptomatic (similar to how most rabbits carry pastuerella without showing any symptoms). That was why I asked. Some places say you can tell if it is active EC if you take two tests and the secon value is higher, but I personally have not heard of one test being conclusive.

Sorry, I realise it's not my place to say. I had stopped talking and commenting on EC threads because my views and knowledge differ. Good luck with Yuki and her recovery.

no its always good to be fully informed and hear all views so dont worry

yukis back left leg goes off to the side and wanders a bit but they dont know if thats from her accident a while back or ec, her eyes are bulging and flickering, her head tilt has got worse but they said it will get worse before it gets better anyway.

shes still lively and bouncing about and coming up for fusses as well as eating etc...

I have to take her back to to the vets tomorrow for more panacur and a update

yuri is on panacur too at the moment as they are bonded and living together... she is a major pain to get meds into

Back