• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bella. Teeth Probs Again

dinklepip

Alpha Buck
Only took her to the vet to have her teeth filed down in April/May after never experiencing dental probs before with either of my babies (Cookie is nearly 8 now). When she did have them done there were a couple of very tiny spurs that obviously caused her problems and I had due warning there was something wrong.

THIS TIME, only appear to have a day's warning from her that something was wrong when I noticed on Wednesday that she was having probs chewing her pellets again. She went in this morning to have them done yet again and my vet said that there were some spurs that were quite large on the left which had started to rub on her tongue.

I can't believe this, how come I had plenty of warning the first time and the spurs were minute, then this time very little warning and the spurs were large????????:shock:

We don't really know how old Bella is because she was dumped but we gauged that she is about 5.

I am finding it difficult to understand why, in the last 3 years I have had her, that I have had absolutely NO problems at all, and NOW, it the vet said it could be a regular thing. Is she being a lazy girl in the way she chews or could it just be degeneration?

I know they can hide their discomforts but I watch both mine like hawks each time I feed them and am always looking out for things as we bun mums do. I am gobsmacked and quite upset that I missed something that I should have seen, although I retraced by tracks and she gave no earlier signs.

Am feeling a little upset too cus my vet seems to be of the opinion that I need to feed my babes more hay etc and less pellets. Well if he only knew! I do. They have 4 different type hays, some finer than others and another a specifically harder texture so they can work at their teeth. I only give them a small amount of pellets in the morning and at bedtime. They have shed loads of hay available 24 hrs a day and that is all I leave them with overnight.

I am feeling like I have done something drastically wrong, even though deep down I know I havent.

One problem I am having is that whatever I buy in the way of chewy stuff for them I am constantly wasting my money, they rarely touch them and seem happier with boxes and toilet rolls. I have tried them with bits of apple trees, willow sticks and stuff and can't seem to find anything that they will really tuck into, and I now need that for Bella's back teeth.

Any tips would be gratefully received as I am running out of ideas

Last edited:
Hi dinklepip,

I am having exactly the same problems with my bunny, I took him to the vets for his VHD and got told he needs dental work doing as he has spikes on the back of his teeth :(

He is a good hay eater, and loves his food. He is eating more hay now as I have had to cut his pellets down due to him preferring to eat them to munching on hay, but no matter how much hay he eats he will according to my vet "always need to have dental work done".

It is frustrating for us because we are doing everything we possibly can to help the, and I get quite upset by it sometimes.

I am afraid I am not of much help here, but I managed to tempt Benji into eating more hay by mixing forage type foods into it, also picking grass of the garden and mixing that in, I have also grated carrot and put that in, gives them a bit more flavour! Ive also been told that timothy hay is best for wearing teeth down.

I can notice now with Benji when his teeth are starting to get long, as he slightly goes off eating and his mood changes as he is in pain.

I hope this was of some help, sorry I couldnt contribute any more :)

Hello there

The growth rate of molar spurs can change over time, so don't be surprised if the period between dental visits is not always consistent. Also, you may find that this time your bunny has managed to eat right up until the spurs were quite large and painful, whereas some bunnies will stop eating as soon as a spur appears and some will continue eating until damage is being done to the cheek and tongue! Usually, a good sign of spurs is drooling and wetness under the chin. Lop eared bunnies seem to suffer much more from spurs, due to the shape of their face and jaw, which is smaller. Unfortunately, usually once spurs occur, it is a recurrent problem, but it can be managed. If bunny is eating lots of hay, that will definitely help a lot, as it's a completely different chewing action that when eating pellets, which doesn't help wear the spurs down. I'm not sure where you live, but there is a vet in Watford, (Guy Carter, at Medivet) who will file spurs down with bunny awake, with absolutely no problem, so no need for a GA. He has looked after my 10 year old mini-lop buck, George, who also has molar spurs. George had his front 4 incisors removed in April this year, which does seem to have helped with the molar spurs - thank heavens! Hope I'v been of some help and good luck with your buns!!

Only took her to the vet to have her teeth filed down in April/May after never experiencing dental probs before with either of my babies (Cookie is nearly 8 now). When she did have them done there were a couple of very tiny spurs that obviously caused her problems and I had due warning there was something wrong.

THIS TIME, only appear to have a day's warning from her that something was wrong when I noticed on Wednesday that she was having probs chewing her pellets again. She went in this morning to have them done yet again and my vet said that there were some spurs that were quite large on the left which had started to rub on her tongue.

I can't believe this, how come I had plenty of warning the first time and the spurs were minute, then this time very little warning and the spurs were large????????:shock:

We don't really know how old Bella is because she was dumped but we gauged that she is about 5.

I am finding it difficult to understand why, in the last 3 years I have had her, that I have had absolutely NO problems at all, and NOW, it the vet said it could be a regular thing. Is she being a lazy girl in the way she chews or could it just be degeneration?

I know they can hide their discomforts but I watch both mine like hawks each time I feed them and am always looking out for things as we bun mums do. I am gobsmacked and quite upset that I missed something that I should have seen, although I retraced by tracks and she gave no earlier signs.

Am feeling a little upset too cus my vet seems to be of the opinion that I need to feed my babes more hay etc and less pellets. Well if he only knew! I do. They have 4 different type hays, some finer than others and another a specifically harder texture so they can work at their teeth. I only give them a small amount of pellets in the morning and at bedtime. They have shed loads of hay available 24 hrs a day and that is all I leave them with overnight.

I am feeling like I have done something drastically wrong, even though deep down I know I havent.

One problem I am having is that whatever I buy in the way of chewy stuff for them I am constantly wasting my money, they rarely touch them and seem happier with boxes and toilet rolls. I have tried them with bits of apple trees, willow sticks and stuff and can't seem to find anything that they will really tuck into, and I now need that for Bella's back teeth.

Any tips would be gratefully received as I am running out of ideas

Unfortunately it sounds like her jaw isn't correctly aligned and is probably getting worse with time perhaps.

I also have a bun, whos mouth is deformed and doesnt close at the back so the teeth never meet to grind themselves down through eating, she has a dental every ~8 weeks normally.

I personally dont find that ANYTHING chewy such as apple twigs etc affect time between dentals and apart from this one, Ginger is almost clockwork.

mmmmmmmmmm very interesting comments and thank you. Was beginning to feel a failure mum. I wonder about her jaw being out of line as on occasion when I look at her when she has a particular expression on her face her right side actually looks a little sunken so you may well be right Graham.

Still at a loss how she managed to hide this episode from from me for so long considering the first time she had it done,there was very little there to file down, she certainly showed more signs on that occasion than this, and the spurs were far worse today

She is home now bless her but unfortunately Cookie decided he was feeling frisky and has been bothering her so I have put Cookie on the lawn out of the way so she can have some peace. She has taken on water and soaked pellets and is munching on some hay at the moment.

Ninny.......I looked out for the wet mouth and drooling but nothing, she really caught me my surprise this time, am still in shock actually when vet told me they were quite large.

They have a large amount of different hays in their hutches all dotted about and I only allow them a few pellets in the morning and evening now.

Looks like it's gonna be constant prob now, just praying that Cookie stays ok but I suppose in time he will start having probs too

Hello there

The growth rate of molar spurs can change over time, so don't be surprised if the period between dental visits is not always consistent. Also, you may find that this time your bunny has managed to eat right up until the spurs were quite large and painful, whereas some bunnies will stop eating as soon as a spur appears and some will continue eating until damage is being done to the cheek and tongue! Usually, a good sign of spurs is drooling and wetness under the chin. Lop eared bunnies seem to suffer much more from spurs, due to the shape of their face and jaw, which is smaller. Unfortunately, usually once spurs occur, it is a recurrent problem, but it can be managed. If bunny is eating lots of hay, that will definitely help a lot, as it's a completely different chewing action that when eating pellets, which doesn't help wear the spurs down. I'm not sure where you live, but there is a vet in Watford, (Guy Carter, at Medivet) who will file spurs down with bunny awake, with absolutely no problem, so no need for a GA. He has looked after my 10 year old mini-lop buck, George, who also has molar spurs. George had his front 4 incisors removed in April this year, which does seem to have helped with the molar spurs - thank heavens! Hope I'v been of some help and good luck with your buns!!

There is quite a bit of controversy about this. Some (and I agree) feel this causes far too much stress on the rabbit. Bunnies and stress don't go together at all and can cause more problems.

wouldn't dream of having it done whilst she is awake, both mine are petrified as soon as they see the basket before they even get to the vet

Back