• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing Price Questions

Daniel

Alpha Buck
Wondering if people could give me their opinions on what you are looking for within the price of housing and the quality of housing. Basically asking if people want cheap housing or quality housing.

Questions below:

Are you looking for cheap hutches, sheds and playhouse?
Or are you looking for quality expensive hutches, sheds and playhouse?

If cheap, why?
If expensive, again what is the reason?

This is not a question on size, just price.
This may seem silly to you but will help me get a bigger picture.

Both really but then one of my groups has a shed and the other a kennel.

Are you looking at making and selling hutches? If so please could you pm me

Personally I first look for what meets my needs closest and then shop around for the cheapest, but best quality for the price, option. I guess I'm looking for quality, but the cheapest for that good quality.

That all said, whatever I buy I know I'm going to have to make adjustments too to be happy and comfortable with having my bunnies in it.

I'd like value for money. Purpose made pet housing often seems over-priced for what you get compared to buying something intended for a different use (such as a shed) and adapting it to be used for pet housing.

I've previously found cheap housing to be a false economy - you could easily end up paying £150 for a hutch and having to replace it twice during a bun's lifetime, so ending up spending a total of £450, whereas if you'd spent £300 on one in the first place, it would last the whole time.

I've previously found cheap housing to be a false economy - you could easily end up paying £150 for a hutch and having to replace it twice during a bun's lifetime, so ending up spending a total of £450, whereas if you'd spent £300 on one in the first place, it would last the whole time.

Exactly this.

If there was a 6ft hutch and run for £350 and a 3ft hutch for £50.
Which do you think an uneducated new bunny owner would choose ?

If you are looking at making hutches/other animal accomodation, perhaps you could have a range of products and prices. So a 'value' option for those who need something temporary or are strapped for cash, a 'better' option made with better quality thicker wood, and a 'best' version made to last years and years.

This will allow you to hit all areas of the market, and also in the process by explaining the differences probably convert some 'value' customers into 'better' customers.

Personally I have looked at both long term middle-range housing and cheaper housing (which ironically worked out more eventually) depending on my needs at the time.

eta- I like to adapt/upgrade every so often so probably would never buy 'best' quality, at least not until I've got a real career anyway!

Last edited:
If you are looking at making hutches/other animal accomodation, perhaps you could have a range of products and prices. So a 'value' option for those who need something temporary or are strapped for cash, a 'better' option made with better quality thicker wood, and a 'best' version made to last years and years.

This will allow you to hit all areas of the market, and also in the process by explaining the differences probably convert some 'value' customers into 'better' customers.

Personally I have looked at both long term more expensive housing and cheaper housing (which ironically worked out more eventually) depending on my needs at the time.
:thumb:
excellent idea

I'd like value for money. Purpose made pet housing often seems over-priced for what you get compared to buying something intended for a different use (such as a shed) and adapting it to be used for pet housing.

You have to take into account that timber isn't cheap but a lot of cheap sheds are poor and built with cheap timber.

Personally I have looked at both long term middle-range housing and cheaper housing (which ironically worked out more eventually) depending on my needs at the time.

eta- I like to adapt/upgrade every so often so probably would never buy 'best' quality, at least not until I've got a real career anyway!

This is a good business idea but i personally do not wish to produce cheap or poor quality products. Like others have said its false economy and I want to create an image, a brand which’s puts animal welfare at the heart and quality but it’s a hard line to walk.

You have to take into account that timber isn't cheap but a lot of cheap sheds are poor and built with cheap timber.

I have sheds and purpose built rabbit hutches, and in my experience sheds are not only cheaper, but are usually made of better quality materials too.

For instance, I have just taken delivery of a brand new wooden playhouse which cost £127. The quality is really good and the tongue and groove is very thick and will last years. It would cost more than that amount for a rubbish quality hutch at only a fraction of the size.

I go for the best value.
I don't want to pay a fortune for something to last me forever if I don't need it forever, but equally I don't want to get something cheap and have it fall apart on me.

If I had bought my shed new I would have gone for a good quality tongue and groove shed as a shed will virtually always be useful or have a resale value. Also, building a base for and setting up a shed isn't an easy or quick task so one I'd like to avoid having to do again.
When I bought new hutches I went for quality that I thought would last me a few years and wasn't very expensive. That's because I knew there was a high likelihood of wanting to change the rabbit's accommodation in the next few years and also because replacing a hutch isn't a particularly big deal in terms of effort. In fact, replacing a hutch is probably something I'd enjoy doing.

I have sheds and purpose built rabbit hutches, and in my experience sheds are not only cheaper, but are usually made of better quality materials too.

For instance, I have just taken delivery of a brand new wooden playhouse which cost £127. The quality is really good and the tongue and groove is very thick and will last years. It would cost more than that amount for a rubbish quality hutch at only a fraction of the size.

Completely agree with this my shed is now three years old and although not great quality is in as good a condition as the day it was delivered and only cost £99 even if I buy 2 through my bunnies lifetime it will still work out cheaper (and more space) than a hutch

if u r looking at a temporary home or u r renting a house then go with a cheap hutch and get a run. I prefer quality even though it is more expensive it lasts longer and looks nicer. i would suggest quality.i am renting a house and i have a really expensive hutch thing called a eglu. they r easy to transport thats the only reason y i got it and also they look nice!! lols.:lol:

Completely agree with this my shed is now three years old and although not great quality is in as good a condition as the day it was delivered and only cost £99 even if I buy 2 through my bunnies lifetime it will still work out cheaper (and more space) than a hutch

With this view above, perhaps I should be looking at manufacturing cheaper sheds rather than expensive hutches that last a rabbit’s life time.

With this view above, perhaps I should be looking at manufacturing cheaper sheds rather than expensive hutches that last a rabbit’s life time.

Perhaps you could do both. Lots of people adapt sheds so they have second and even third levels and ramps, and a run attached with a cat flap. Perhaps you could supply sheds that are already adapted. Or even kits that allow owners to adapt their existing sheds.

I think you are missing the point. Sheds are generally a good price....it's purpose built rabbit hutches (and in fact most animal housing) that is overpriced in my opinion. If you could do a large sturdy hutch at a reasonable price, I think you'd get custom. Your biggest problem will be delivery costs.

Back