• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Two questions...

Pix

Warren Scout
I have two buns. I got them as kits, that aren't siblings but were together from 8 and 10 weeks (one is 2 weeks older). They lived as a happily bonded pair until 3 and a half/4 months when we separated them because of mounting behaviour (one buck one doe). We had to wait a further 2 months till they were old enough to spay/neuter, and then had complications with her which meant she had to be supervised and on antibiotics etc. It's now 3 and a half weeks post-op and I need to rebond them. Can anyone offer me any advice? They've been in sight of each other all this time and all through the interim have had closely supervised playtimes together.

Second question. They have both always had water bottles. When she had her op we gave her a bowl as she wasn't drinking. She still chooses the bowl over the bottle, but she occasionally kicks it over and has a strop at getting wet bedding. How do I get her back on the bottle? I've tried taking the bowl away for a couple if hours at a time, but she'll just wait for it to cone back rather than using the bottle...

Firstly, about the bonding, there are some fab articles in the bonding section - i will try and copy some links over. I was told to wait at least 2 months post op before attempting but my circumstances are slightly different.

As for the water bowl issue - drinking from a water bowl is a more natural way of drinking. I am trying to get my currently single bun to drink out of a bowl as my other two (who she will be with eventually) only drink out of a bowl.

Can you not keep the bowl and bottle as an option for good? A solid sturdy bowl is def needed to avoid accidental spillages - dog bowls are good for this.

I've got a very sturdy bowl, but I can't have them in together and have a waterbowl as he moves everything, picks up everything with his teeth or barges it.

I know some recommend a couple of months, but as mine were previously bonded, are both done, and are both healed and he seems to be pining for her a bit, the vet said to go for it!

I tend to think bottle are quite awkward for rabbits to drink out of though because of the way they have to angle themselves - can you not put the bowl on newspaper or something? This might help? :)

Nope, can't have newspaper. He'll eat it.

While she's been alone she's had it cushioned on a folded up flannel - which works fine for her. He'd destroy it.

I have a huge ceramic dog bowl. Even my huge bunnies can't move it.

Something like this.

mason-cash-dog-bowl-1312-849_zoom.jpg

I've got a very sturdy bowl, but I can't have them in together and have a waterbowl as he moves everything, picks up everything with his teeth or barges it.
Slightly off topic as I agree that drinking from a bowl is more natural behaviour therefore should be encouraged, does he have toys and space etc. His current behaviour could be due to boredom so if he could be otherwise entertained, he may leave the bowl where it is.

Either that or he's a very determined bunny that wants his pad arranged his way ;)

Back