• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping Rabbit Costs Down !

CharlotteMc

Mama Doe
I thought I might share how I keep the costs of my rabbits down :)
I made this thread as there have been some threads asking how much does it cost to keep three bunnies ect
Hope this helps :)

1. I buy hay from my local farm shop and it cost £2.50 per bag and a bag lasts my three bunnies about 1 month :)

2. I buy a big bag of megazorb for £7.20. I only have 1 bunny who is litter trained so a big bag usually last me about 6 months ish or longer :L ( she only has a very small litter tray)

3. I use blankets at my bunnies bedding. I bought 5 blankets for £0.99 each and I wash them everyweek and I make sure I always have a spare blanket just incase one of the bunnies makes a mess in the hutch.

4. I do displays for burgess so I got given loads of Burgess Exel ! I got about 5 bags in January and I took about 4 bags from London ! But If you feed less pellet and more hay then you wont have to buy as much pellet food !

5. I dont buy disinfectant ! use water and white vinegar solution in an pet spray bottle.

6. Bedding in winter I use shredded paper as it is free from my mums work !

7. By keeping my cost down this means I get to spend more money on the bunnies accomodation and toys !

Great post, thanks x

I have access to tons of free shredded paper but I was concerned they would eat it....have you had any problems? x

Great ideas:D:thumb:

One to add, that I do, is instead of megazorb, in the litter trays, I use newspaper, which is free, with straw ontop, which is £3 a bale from the local farm, it does the job well, and although I would say I have to clean the litter trays a bit more often, and it smells a bit more, but as they are not inside and the smell dosen't bother them, it works really well.:)

Great post, thanks x

I have access to tons of free shredded paper but I was concerned they would eat it....have you had any problems? x

Mine eat one or two shreds. But a little paper wont heur them. Mine would preffer to eat their hay than paper. So if you find your bunny is eating alot of the paper then you can maybe change to straw as it tends to be cheaper than hay :wave:

Great ideas:D:thumb:

One to add, that I do, is instead of megazorb, in the litter trays, I use newspaper, which is free, with straw ontop, which is £3 a bale from the local farm, it does the job well, and although I would say I have to clean the litter trays a bit more often, and it smells a bit more, but as they are not inside and the smell dosen't bother them, it works really well.:)

ahh yes ! I forgot to mention about newspaper too !

Foraging saves LOADS of money!

^^ Ive saved SO much this way! Its so very easy to add some variety of a natural diet by foraging....and fun too!:D

Great post!:wave:

Water & white vinigar keeps the buns area's SO clean and removed all the white calcium from wee marks...so glad you mentioned that!:p

I buy a big bag of aubiose for the litter trays for about £9...smells lovely...last for ages and absorbs the wee to the bottom of the tray so the surface stays dry for the buns feet, I changed to this as my buns wanted to eat other types of litter.;)

Last edited:
Straw is fine for the summer months, but you should use hay in the winter, as straw is hollow and doesnt retain the heat that well in the winter.
Q: is it ordinary white vinegar that you buy from the supermarket that you use?
and
What is aubiose? And where do you get it? Sounds amazing!:D

Straw is fine for the summer months, but you should use hay in the winter, as straw is hollow and doesnt retain the heat that well in the winter.
Q: is it ordinary white vinegar that you buy from the supermarket that you use?
and
What is aubiose? And where do you get it? Sounds amazing!:D

They should always have some hay cos it's 80% of their diet ;)

I use ordinary white vinegar, mixed half and half with water and stored in a spray bottle for easy use. Auboise is a horse bedding I believe, if you can find horse suppliers in your area they usually have great hay and their bedding (at least Auboise and Megazorb are both suitable for bunnies) works out good value. I personally just use newspaper and hay in their litter trays.

Back