• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Medical Knowledgable Folks - What Is This Update - Photo of removed tumour

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
Just had two bunnies dropped off for boarding and we have spotted a lump/growth/balloon like cyst under the rabbit (lop eared) ear at the base.

I am not sure what it is as I've never seen anything like it before.

I have called our local vet tonight to see based on description if it needed to be seen tonight and she feels not. So to the vets in the morning, but in the meanwhile, has anybody seen anything like this before?

It doesn't seem to be deeply rooted under the skin and I'm not sure it's abscess like as it's clearly defined as a ball or pea shape in the top layers of dermis, but I can feel a very fine 'stalk' leading into the dermal layers. It is not hard but also not really soft but slightly maleable. No fur grows on the skin involved.

Thoughts please folks

(and the owner does know I am asking about this in public)

4AugustEarLump004.jpg

4AugustEarLump003.jpg

Last edited:
It's not a tick is it?

No it's not Tamsin, I know what you mean, but it's actually in the very top layers of skin.

The only way I can describe it is like a balloon with the bit of string doing deeper under the skin.

I did wonder if it could have been something like a thorn from hay (the rabbit gets farm baled hay) that has become infected, but it's hard - ish. and 'floats' under the skin.

Has crossed my and the owners mind but I've no experience of rabbit tumours in skin layers so I really don't know.

I dont in rabbits but if I saw that in a dog,pea sized lump,I would be getting slightly worried xx.After another look it could just be a harmless cyst.

Perhaps the Vet could do a FNA tomorrow and have a look at the cells under a microscope. That would give some indication as to what it might be.

Perhaps the Vet could do a FNA tomorrow and have a look at the cells under a microscope. That would give some indication as to what it might be.

Yup, hoping for some answers. Quite, quite strange and I've never seen anything quite like it before.

That looks bang on the melanoma that Summer had. It wasn't removed fast enough for her and it spread throughout her body and ravaged it. Had it been caught faster she may have been ok.

That looks bang on the melanoma that Summer had. It wasn't removed fast enough for her and it spread throughout her body and ravaged it. Had it been caught faster she may have been ok.

Oh my goodness, well I will be praying that this little bunny doesn't got that way :-(

It looks very similar to one of Humphrey's lumps. I thought his was a large nipple when I first felt under him, but when I turned him over it was just under the skin.

But I am guessing there could be quite a few reasons for a lump like that. I hope you get some answers tomorrow and its nothing to be concerned about :)

I have just read well look yourself

ANSWER: Dear Sadie,

I have heard of a few cases of rabbits developing melanomas, and they usually are on the ears. But here's the good news. Newbie does *not* have to die from this!

Strangely enough, all the rabbits I know of that have had these melanomas removed (with good margins, and even if it leaves a hole in the ear or requires removal of part of the ear) have *not* had recurrence or metastasis! For some reason, melanomas in rabbits may not be as metastatic as they are in humans.

So don't despair. Find an experienced rabbit vet here:

www.rabbit.org/vets

and discuss the surgical options. It could be that your little guy will have a perfectly successful surgical removal of the lesion, and that it will never return or spread. It is certainly worth a try, or at least discussion with the vet.

I hope this helps.

That is quote of diff website but i don't know how to quote stuff :oops:

I have just read well look yourself

ANSWER: Dear Sadie,

I have heard of a few cases of rabbits developing melanomas, and they usually are on the ears. But here's the good news. Newbie does *not* have to die from this!

Strangely enough, all the rabbits I know of that have had these melanomas removed (with good margins, and even if it leaves a hole in the ear or requires removal of part of the ear) have *not* had recurrence or metastasis! For some reason, melanomas in rabbits may not be as metastatic as they are in humans.

So don't despair. Find an experienced rabbit vet here:

www.rabbit.org/vets

and discuss the surgical options. It could be that your little guy will have a perfectly successful surgical removal of the lesion, and that it will never return or spread. It is certainly worth a try, or at least discussion with the vet.

I hope this helps.

That is quote of diff website but i don't know how to quote stuff :oops:

Thanks yes, I've seen that too from the US website.

How very odd :shock:

Harry's under-ear abscess is in that place and does look a bit like that but not quite as pronounced. When my vet was feeling it the other day she did say she was feeling around it for a stalk but couldn't find one - but I didn't think to ask her what she meant by that and what she was thinking. I wonder if it's possible that it could be an abscess which has pushed its way to the surface, although the stalky bit doesn't seem quite right for that, does it? Harry's seems to have started on the inside, draining into his ear canal but the lump on the outside was slowly growing bigger - I guess the FNA that Jane suggested will at least give an idea as to whether it contains pus or not.

Poor little chap, hope all is well for him and that it's something simple. Good luck tomorrow xx

How very odd :shock:

Harry's under-ear abscess is in that place and does look a bit like that but not quite as pronounced. When my vet was feeling it the other day she did say she was feeling around it for a stalk but couldn't find one - but I didn't think to ask her what she meant by that and what she was thinking. I wonder if it's possible that it could be an abscess which has pushed its way to the surface, although the stalky bit doesn't seem quite right for that, does it? Harry's seems to have started on the inside, draining into his ear canal but the lump on the outside was slowly growing bigger - I guess the FNA that Jane suggested will at least give an idea as to whether it contains pus or not.

Poor little chap, hope all is well for him and that it's something simple. Good luck tomorrow xx

Even if there is no pus the sort of cells it contains may be able to be identified. Not specifics but just are they cystic looking or 'nasties'. Something about whether the cells have a nucleus or not I think. All way above my head I am afraid :oops:

Back