• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Adopting more buns - what makes a good grouping?

Buzzybunny

Young Bun
Hi all

I'm a newbie to the forum and mentioned in my intro that I'm hoping to adopt a bun or two.

I currently have two neutered males (brothers) who have a very good relationship. They are completely free range in a secure walled garden (approx 6x5 metres) with access to the house (kitchen/diner 5x3 metres) via a cat flap. We shut them inside at night and when we're home we have the lounge and hall open too.

Although I'm happy with just my lads, I keep seeing buns in need of homes and thinking I could give them a good home. My question is: what combination of buns would work best? I'm guessing a new girl/girls would be better. Would it be ok to have one girl with two boys or should I make it an even four? I'd prefer to just get one more at the mo but could afford to take two if it makes for a happier group. This is all presuming they bond ok first!

Any thoughts?

I'd say 2 girls too. That's my plan, as I'm in a similar position, but with 3 single boys.

Trios don't work as well as a pair or a quad do so I would choose 2 if I were you :)

First of all, please dont feel the need to rehome rabbits you can't afford.

I find groups no more work than singles, but obviously you need to consider a few points.

1. Space ( doesn't sound a problem) although personally even in a walled garden I wouldn't be happy leaving my buns unsupervised all day whilst Im out. Anything can get in, cats/foxes. I do think some of the rescues on here will have a problem with that.

2. neuters and vaccs, more bunnies = more cost

3. Sickness, would you be able to pay for care if all of them came down with a communicable disease. Obviously there are the ones we all mention, vhd and myxi, but what happens if you get a dodgy batch of carrots ( yes it has been heard of) and they all go into stasiis, can you afford £500+ in vets bills. This is where I recommend insurance, which covers almost everything other than teeth.

4 what would happen if they didn't bond? I have bonded my group of 6 together quite a few times and something then happens, and the bond breaks down, so I have to seperate, and house them seperately. Its hard work keeping up to 5 different set ups clean tidy and watered fed and exercised. I know if I rehomed a bun and it didn't work I wouldn't be able to send it back to the rescue.

I know when first joining it can be very easy to slip into rabbits you can't afford, or cope with in terms of care, Ive been there, although the more you get ( I currently have 9) the easier and better practiced you get a juggling those balls, and fingers crossed, touch wood none have been too ill.

Good luck and I hope you can come to a decision that is good for you and your current rabbits

Thank you all for your advice, I've got a lot of thinking to do! :)

Financially we'd be fine, my OH and I both have secure jobs (touch wood) and I already have the boys insured.

The thing that worries me is bonding. Like you say, if they didn't bond I couldn't bear to take them back. My mum lives nearby and I know she could and would take them in but it's not something I'd want to rely on. I'm also not sure about whether introducing new buns would stress the boys.

The bunny expert from our local shelter's going to call today so we can have a good chat about things.

Good luck - I'm sure you'll have a very interesting chat with the bunny person at the rescue :)

My personal view though, is that I wouldn't risk bonding more rabbits in with a neutered pair of boys. It's not always the case, but bonds between same sex bunnies tend to be slightly more fragile than those of opposite sex buns, and there is therefore the risk that introducing more bunnies may not just result in the overall bond not working, but it could result in the original bonded bunnies falling out. Louise and I attempted to bond three girls last weekend - we ended up taking the third one out as the original pair started to fight between themselves and we felt there was a significant risk of not just ending up where we started with a 2 and a 1, but actually ending up with 3 single bunnies!

I have to say that with a stable, happy bond - especially between two same sex bunnies - my advice would be "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I know it's a really good thing to rescue more bunnies if possible, but I would think very very carefully about it as there are risks involved to yours too.

Good luck with whatever you decide :)

Firstly, thank you all again for your advice.

I had a really long chat with the lady at the rescue centre and decided that I don't want to risk breaking the bond between the boys given that it's rare for chaps to get on so well. They are my main priority after all.

Needless to say I am a little disappointed not to be able to take on another bunny or two so I'm going to send a donation and a box of toys for the rescue centre buns to cheer myself up.

Can't wait to get home for a good cuddle with my baby boys :)

Firstly, thank you all again for your advice.

I had a really long chat with the lady at the rescue centre and decided that I don't want to risk breaking the bond between the boys given that it's rare for chaps to get on so well. They are my main priority after all.

Needless to say I am a little disappointed not to be able to take on another bunny or two so I'm going to send a donation and a box of toys for the rescue centre buns to cheer myself up.

Can't wait to get home for a good cuddle with my baby boys :)

If you feel that you want to take on more bunnies, perhaps you could have two pairs? You could have a pair outside, and keep the boys inside? It would mean less space available for them to run about in the garden, however you wont be able to let them outdoors (because of the temp change) in winter anyway if they are house bunnies.

Back