• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fostering

Alicia

Mama Doe
This is something I'd like to look into, because I posted on here a while ago saying that I'd really like another rabbit, but after I heard more about it and how difficult trios can be etc. I decided against getting another rabbit, but I really would like more rabbits, which made me think of fostering.
Normally, once a rabbit is fostered, how often would it have to go back to the rescue? This is one problem my Mum has with it, because she doesn't want drive back and forth to a rescue lots of times, and as I can't drive its up to her :(
Also, do some rescues let you borrow hutches? Just because my Mum wouldn't want me to have a huge hutch in our garden all of the time (she doesn't mind for looking after other rabbits but when the hutch is empty we'd have nowhere to put it)
I'm really sorry if this thread sounds like I'm being lazy by not wanting to go back and forth to a rescue much and not getting another hutch, I have no problem with either of these but my Mum does)
I've got some grid/cube things which I could attach together to make a cage or to block of wires, would that be ok housing?
If there's anything else about fostering please tell me :)

You would be better off contacting the rescue you would wish to foster from.

In my experience mine only go to the rescue for their vaccinations, the rest of the time I take them to my vet if there is a problem. They may also go to the Centre to meet an adopter, but if I have met the person first, they will often come and meet them at my house.

There are also different types of fostering, which is something to be aware of. You have things like overflow fostering, short term/emergency fostering, fostering for those who have problems and need a bit more TLC (be it health problems, behavioural problems, etc), long term fostering (i.e. until they find a home). All sorts. Again, that would be something to think about and then talk to the rescue you wish to foster for (as would discussing the accommodation and how they, in particular, work).

You will need to be hot on your quarantine because your first priority is to yoru bunnies and you don't want any transient bunnies bringing in any nasties and sharing them with your bunnies, so you will need to be able to thoroughly disinfect where they go and live, and also be aware of the 'invisibles' and anything you might be transferring between the two.

I find fostering stressful, but love it :)

Hi :)

I foster for my local RSPCA branch. I've only just started doing this, so I'm still getting used to how it all works, and have yet to really have a proper set of guidelines for it, but hope to pin down the RSPCA inspector next week to do just this :lol:. If you want to PM me, please do, and I can tell you how it works for me. In terms of transporting the buns and accommodation, the branch have done it all for me, so it could suit you :)

It really does depend on the rescue. I've had Max here for 10 months now and he hasn't had to go back to the rescue as I have used my vets for jabs. Some rescues like the rabbits to be seen by their vet.

I find fostering stressful, but love it :)

I would echo this...it is hard work (and I only have 2 - nothing like the numbers Sky-O has), and it is extra furries to worry about all the time. There's quite a lot of communication required between you and the branch/rescue (at least in my short experience). But it is lovely to do it: I feel all warm and fuzzy knowing that in my garden there are two bunnies who were previously not loved or wanted, and now I'm able to offer them all the things they missed before, even if it's only for a short time :)

I would echo this...it is hard work (and I only have 2 - nothing like the numbers Sky-O has), and it is extra furries to worry about all the time. There's quite a lot of communication required between you and the branch/rescue (at least in my short experience). But it is lovely to do it: I feel all warm and fuzzy knowing that in my garden there are two bunnies who were previously not loved or wanted, and now I'm able to offer them all the things they missed before, even if it's only for a short time :)

That's lovely!! I hope to be able to do this one day too. :love:

Hi,

We give vaccinations and neuter on arrival. The bunnies are then quarantined for two weeks before fostering out.

We allow people who foster our buns to use their own vets, but we call ahead to make an agreement with them prior.

We recently provided a 6x4ft run to one of our foster carers to help with accomadation, although we ask that the majority of costs are covered by the foster carer.

~Jane

Thank you :) I could pay for things like food and hay and I could provide food bowls, water bottles and toys and things like that, but I wouldn't be able to afford vet bills for extra rabbits, do you think a grid cage could be used, I don't know what they are called on this forum, sorry but I've seen people talk about them here. I could also possibly get a puppy pen type cage.
Do you think that having other rabbits here could upset Archie and Molly? Like would they be able to smell them on my clothes or something even if they were far away from them?

There is always a risk of referred aggression and that would be something you would have to be prepared to deal with and combat if it arose.

Thank you for all the help :) I don't know many rescues so I'd have to look around first to try and find a near rescue, but I think maybe the RSPCA have a branch near me.
Are there any other rescues here that can tell me about their fosterers, and what the requirements are? I'd just like to know what other rescues requirements are before I email another rescue and ask.

I foster for my local RSPCA but I take on the very special animals that would die if they didn't come to me. My rescue do not worry about size requirements for me, just trust I will do what is best for the rabbits.

For an average fosterer we would be looking that they have the same size accommodation as an adopter (which is 50sqft of permanent access) unless there was a specific reason not to.

I foster for a new local rescue who don't have a centre and the rabbits are looked after by a foster care network. I have room for two outside and two inside which I keep for tlc buns or post op care. It is hard work and your buns might get upset having other buns around.

Because they have been neglected, your foster buns may need regular vet visits. Even if they are healthy you can expect about four or five visits for vaccs, neuter and post op care. If there are any complications then there will be more.

A lot of people worry about becoming attached and I was especially worried about my kids. However, we are all really excited when the rabbits go off to their new homes. There is a real feeling of success and achievement, especially when the rescue people come to collect them and see the difference from when they dropped them off. There might be a wee tear but usually it is happiness!

Back