• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are these good weights?

Alicia

Mama Doe
The vet said Archie weighed 2.15 and Molly weighed 2.35 (I don't know which measurement it was, I just heard the vet nurse say it to the other vet when she was weighing them) the vet didn't seem worried about their weight or anything, so I assume they are a good weight, do you think these are good weights for two adult lops? Sorry I don't know the measurements, its probably easy to work out, but it confuses me :lol:

:wave: It's really impossible to tell just from the numbers, hun. It's a bit like asking whether it's ok for a british woman to weigh 8 stone...it depends on their natural build, height, bone density, etc etc. While there are breed standards for a "perfect" show specimen (a bit like model agencies require models to be at least 5'10 or something), there's such variation that there is no such thing as the "right" weight as such - the right weight is whatever is right for that individual. A good rule of thumb is to stroke them over, you should be able to feel the top of their spine, ribs and hips, but not to feel it too jutting out. If you can feel the full hip bones or the sides of the spine, they're probably a little underweight, if you can't feel the bones at all, they're probably a little overweight. I have two dwarf lops and one weighs 2.3kg the other weighs 3kg, yet they are both about the 'right' weight for their own frames.

If your vet didn't say anything, they're probably fine, so I would just keep an eye on them and monitor them regularly. If you see any sudden weight changes (especially down), then it's often an early indication that there is a problem, so it's a good idea to weigh them fairly regularly just to check :)

Last edited:
That weight will be in kg likely. If your vet doesn't sound concerned, then you shouldn't either :) Maybe next time ask the vet if they are a healthy weight to put your mind at rest.

There are 'breed standards' weights but they don't mean much other than those being the weights you can show rabbits at, because each rabbit is different, has a different shape, a different healthy weight, etc.

But go with what your vet says :)

Mine are 2.15, 2.45 and 2.7 *i think* - their weights are stable and the vet is happy with them. I'd say yours is about right too - especially if the vet isnt worried. :)

Back