• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buns that particularly struggle with the heat

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
I've found, over the past few days, that some bunnies cope far better with hot temperatures than others, who seem to wilt it lower temperatures.

Out of the 19 here, I had Wish (obviously), Sky, Autumn, Hay Monster, Sandy and Candyfloss who struggle far more with the heat than the other bunnies (although I' tempted to say that Sandy struggled because she moronically sat in the sun :roll:).

What about you? Which of yours struggle more than the others?

Max struggles abit (the rapid breathing we talked about earlier) but Mimi struggles the most. Her fur is like cotton wool, not only that shes not as svelte as the others since her head tilt, so dont think that helps.

I always expect Timmy to struggle with it because hes black but he does surprisi gly well. Infact he follows around the shafts on sunlight that shine through my huge windows, feels flippin boilin sometimes! :shock::lol:

Archie struggles with heat, he sits in the shade for the whole day, and barely moves, but Molly runs around like normal. I was really worried about Archie a few days ago because he started breathing really quickly and I was worried he had heat stroke or something, so I put the water bowl next to him and covered his hutch and run with a wet towel and he was fine again a few minutes later.

Just adding a 'Yes'.

You know about Ginger, Biccy seems to manage okay, he just tends to not exert much energy when its hot.

I wouldn't say any of mine struggle with it particularly, but given the choice, Dudley will always sit directly in the sun (and Santa used to as well), but the lops will always sit in the shade. As a pair, Dudley and Santa would get really grumpy when the sun didn't shine, and the lops would get grumpy when it did!

My two black buns seem to suffer the most - they were off their food yesterday. I sluiced their ears down with water in an effort to cool them off a bit ( buns only radiate heat from ears, eys and nose as they have no sweat glands in their skin). They didn't seem to appreciate it :lol: My wildie was lying in the sun soaking it up. She moves round the cage to lie in it during the day. In the early morning she'll sit in the right place waiting for the direct sunlight to come round!

I wet Sky and Autumn on the ears yesterday and they equally didn't appreciate it. :lol: although afterwards Sky did sit in front of the fan and did seem to cool quite quickly. Autumn, on the other hand, shook it off and I got a face full. :roll:

My two black buns seem to suffer the most

I actually wrote this in my earlier post about Mavis, and then I deleted it when I realised that Santa was a black bun and yet she was the biggest sun worshipper out of the lot of them! I guess though because Santa was chronically unwell, she perhaps liked the extra heat which normal healthy black buns might not?

Anyway, :wave: Hope all is well with you and yours? How are those naughty cashies and their ears?

matt struggles quite alot. his breathing gets worse in the heat and he is always so warm and struggles to keep cool.

Frank our black bunny absolutely adores the heat! out in full sunshine is the only time he seems really happy.

Lily is elderly and really frail now and she was struggling, humphrey wasn't great yesterday either but he also had his vet trip. Thank goodness our vet is just round the corner as I don't think he could have coped with a longer journey especially with the warm weather

Bramble struggles more with the heat than Bungee. He sleeps more than her, and lays on tiles right in front of his fan. His moult has nearly finished now though, so that should help. He much prefers the winter I think!

Mine are both house buns and have never been outside. Neither seem to struggle but they rest a lot more when it's hot. The rapid breathing thing that Honey does occurs when it's not particularly hot aswell so I don't think that is the cause. Olly seems not quite himself at the moment though so I am keeping a close eye on him... :wave:

Smudge doesn't like it very much, his fur is so thick. I'm seriously considering next year clipping it in late spring time, it can't be nice for him and he hates me brushing it.

Lilah really struggled when it got too hot :cry: But none of the other buns struggle as such, Sox goes abit lazy and floppy but Beilidh and Jazzy don't seem to be bothered.

Back