• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Local fundraising

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
Apart from car boots, what local fundraising events do rescues/sanctuaries do?

We get very little local support because we rarely rehome, and only take in rabbits via rescues so aren't well known. I don't want to raise our profile so much that we are getting rabbits dumped, but I'd like to raise it enough to get more donations of car booty...and hopefully even a few money donations!

Do you have any 'volunteers' Amy?

You could do a car wash type thing? My mums girls club (not registered charity) have done this at Morrisons a few times and made a decent amount of money.

Also, sponsored walks/swims and things like that are normally good things to bring in money?

I don't know about your area but we have events e.g crafts events in our town hall and charities including cats protection usually go to these events. Also a lot of our local supermarkets let rescues collect e.g. bag pack or holding a tin outside.

I don't know about your area but we have events e.g crafts events in our town hall and charities including cats protection usually go to these events. Also a lot of our local supermarkets let rescues collect e.g. bag pack or holding a tin outside.

We have smaller charities who have a table with some info and a collecting tin and they stand outside the supermarket (with permission) on Saturdays - they seem to do quite well :)

When the local dog rescue do this they have a shopping trolley by their table and people put packs of dog food, treats etc in as well :)

We are like you, and the open day was our first 'active' fundraiser. We haven't organised anything before, but are grateful that people on here and another forum have supported us and done fundraisers for us. We are holding a dog show at the end of this month and probably next year hope to do things like calendars, Christmas cards and crafty things to sell. It's hard going out there and knowing how to go about things, especially when you are so busy looking after the animals, that's why we treasure and appreciate every offer of help.:D

I don't have any other suggestions, but good luck with anything you undertake to raise funds. :wave:

What about running a bunny sponsorship scheme.....I can think of a number of your bunnies who would be ideal. :love:

What about a Rabbit Care Info Day at your Vets. Fee for attendance to go to your Sanctuary. I am sure people on here would help with posters etc.

Apart from car boots, what local fundraising events do rescues/sanctuaries do?

We get very little local support because we rarely rehome, and only take in rabbits via rescues so aren't well known. I don't want to raise our profile so much that we are getting rabbits dumped, but I'd like to raise it enough to get more donations of car booty...and hopefully even a few money donations!

We don't do anything locally at all, the only people who know we exist are our neighbours and our vet. We keep it that way for the very same reason you mention. I don't think members of the general public would know the difference between a sanctuary and a rescue and we have no facilities to accommodate potential dumped bunnies.

But a website with bunny sponsorships schemes are good for more general fundraising. They are a lot of work to keep on top of with updates and cards etc but worth it :)

I'm still up for doing a car boot. :wave: We need to fix a date :D

Yes, definitely still up for that. How's Sunday 28th August for you Tracy?

We'll need to find some fold up tables first though...If anyone in Nottingham has any suitable tables we can borrow, please let me know! :wave:

What about running a bunny sponsorship scheme.....I can think of a number of your bunnies who would be ideal. :love:

I though about doing this, but I think I'd need a decent printer so set-up costs might be quite high? Liz do you need a printer for doing sponsorship stuff, and if so what printer do you have?

our council run family fun days at different parks in the area every Wednesday during the summer, we just called and asked if we could take a gazebo, some fundraising things and some information. The only thing I think they asked for was that we had our own PLI (but Becky can confirm that).

It has been great as it takes minimum organising, and you only need one or 2 volunteers. We also did Walsall music festival last weekend, and have bloxwich carnival on Saturday. We really struggle for volunteers to help on the stall :( so it always falls on the same 2-3 people.

Last edited:
What about a Rabbit Care Info Day at your Vets. Fee for attendance to go to your Sanctuary. I am sure people on here would help with posters etc.

Lovely idea but I can't do public speaking :oops:

My vets have said I can put up posters in the surgery, but I'm not sure whether that would be a good idea given that we don't actively rehome? It would definitely be a good place to recruit volunteers though.

I though about doing this, but I think I'd need a decent printer so set-up costs might be quite high? Liz do you need a printer for doing sponsorship stuff, and if so what printer do you have?

Yes I have a printer everything is posted out but printers are so cheap now a days. Some are nearly cheaper than buying replacement ink! I use epson printers as they have individual inks and because of our design we use loads more blue ink than other colours.

Certificates are laminated so you need a machine for that too, but again I don't think they are expensive. I get photos done online at photobox as they are better quality that way.

If you want any more info on what we include etc give us a shout :wave:

We're coming out of the 'fete' season now but it's worth checking your local paper, village newsletters etc for details of such events & ask if you can have a stall at one. A tombola always does well for us but you could have other attractions i.e. colouring competition, pin the tail on the bunny etc :D:wave: We use these events not just to raise funds but also awareness of rabbit welfare standards. We give out a lot of advice and hope to generate a few new forever homes as a result :D

Yes I have a printer everything is posted out but printers are so cheap now a days. Some are nearly cheaper than buying replacement ink! I use epson printers as they have individual inks and because of our design we use loads more blue ink than other colours.

Certificates are laminated so you need a machine for that too, but again I don't think they are expensive. I get photos done online at photobox as they are better quality that way.If you want any more info on what we include etc give us a shout :wave:

Ah photos too, I forgot about that aspect. We have a rubbish cheapo camera and I rarely get chance to use it during my time off because Dom takes it everywhere with him! I shall have to hide it from him when he goes out :roll:

We're coming out of the 'fete' season now but it's worth checking your local paper, village newsletters etc for details of such events & ask if you can have a stall at one. A tombola always does well for us but you could have other attractions i.e. colouring competition, pin the tail on the bunny etc :D:wave: We use these events not just to raise funds but also awareness of rabbit welfare standards. We give out a lot of advice and hope to generate a few new forever homes as a result :D

Good idea! We don't have many fetes here (inner city area) but there are definitely a few churches and schools who have fair type thingys

Back