• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how do you collect nettles?

xx-snowball-xx

Wise Old Thumper
without getting stung? :?

i would like to go foraging either today or tomorrow, but one of the things that there are LOADS of is nettles. I'd like to collect some, but how do you manage not to get stung?

long sleeves and gloves?

i'm scared of nettles :oops:
also, how do you dry nettles? just hang them up upside down or something? :oops:

Gardening gloves?

I was told that if you just grasp them really tightly they won't sting.....I have never tried out this theory in case it is wrong :lol:

Gardening gloves?

I was told that if you just grasp them really tightly they won't sting.....I have never tried out this theory in case it is wrong :lol:

I think I have gardening gloves in the shed, shall have a look for them tomorrow.

:lol::lol: Yeah I don't fancy trying that one, all I remember from being stung is that it hurts like heck :lol:

I do remember kids that would roll them up and walk around with them on their tongue *shudder*

I use washing up gloves :lol:. My gardening gloves just don't cut it, and I still get stung through them :shock:. I think I need thicker ones!

Good luck foraging in this awful weather :(

I use washing up gloves :lol:. My gardening gloves just don't cut it, and I still get stung through them :shock:. I think I need thicker ones!

Good luck foraging in this awful weather :(

:lol::lol:
maybe I'll use washing up gloves with gardening gloves over the top ;)

Not going foraging today now, am taking my son to an indoor play area :) found I can get a bus up there with only a short walk after. cheap cheap cheap and he will love it :D

:lol::lol:
maybe I'll use washing up gloves with gardening gloves over the top ;)

Not going foraging today now, am taking my son to an indoor play area :) found I can get a bus up there with only a short walk after. cheap cheap cheap and he will love it :D

Great stuff :). I hope you and Lucas have fun :)

Make sure you wash them well, as nettles usually indicate a high nitrogen soil, i.e. somewhere where a lot of dogs had a wee or farmer put manure. Gardening gloves made from cloth are not thick enough, as I found out....rubber gloves should be ok.

Back