• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Incisor Issues Advice

Janey

Warren Veteran
Poppy has for a long time had dental issues, molars and incisors.

We have been managing an incisor problem more recently, the bottom ones are in a rather decayed state and I keep an eye on them incase there is a need for baytril, we have discussed having them removed but from advice received on her I am quite reluctant to do that.

Anyway....the last few days I have noticed she seems to be struggling a bit eating veg, she tries but seems to have problems biting bits off, she has percivered (sp) so far but it takes ages (last night and this morning I cut it into little pieces for her), she even threw her bowl in frustration last night-that's what it looked like anyway.

I looked at her bottom teeth and these look ok (not pussy and nice and white at the bottom, jst more decayed at the ends. However, I noticed her top teeth are teeny tiny, like little peg teeth, could this be the issue?They look almost up to the gum line.

I have a vet appointment on Monday, would love to go before then but the rabbit savvy vet is off this week and I don't want to go and be told the wrong thing, also my vets is 45mins-1 hour away so a wasted trip wouldn't be great.

Do you think it sounds like these incisors need to finally come out? Could it be these little teeth causing her the problems? I'm worried they could be hurting her. She's fine eating pellets, and oddly seems fine with her favourite which is baby corn, she managed to push her treat ball round this morning until it was empty :lol:

Sorry for the loooong post. Any advice much appreciated.

I've got 4 gummy bunnies (well 3 because one is about to leave to go to his new home). I'd say all 4 do better without their incisors...one especially is in much better bodily condition after the surgery.

If you get a situation where some of the teeth aren't growing any longer, or they look discoloured or decayed, then there is usually underlying tooth root disease. This sort of disease increases the chances of post-operative infection, so if you do decide to get the incisors removed, you'll need to be very vigilant for signs of infection...pull the buns lips back every day to check for pus and have a good sniff inside their mouth...any smells are bad news. Luckily this sort of infection is easy to clear up with the right antibiotic (I've used Zithromax and Depocillin depending on how badly it smelled).

Good luck

Thank you for the info.

She def has bad tooth roots, u can feel how they are all lumpy and bumpy under the skin in the jaw so thats why im so reluctant to do it. At the moment i cant see puss, its the tiny teeth im thinking are causing problems. She also previously had an injection site reaction with depocillin and had to have surgery to move a big lump so not sure they would give her an injectionable antibiotoc. All makes the decisions so much harder as controlling any infection afterwards could be impossible, thats why ive not done it yet.:?

I've had a similar situation where one set of teeth weren't growing at all, causing the opposing set to grow really quickly. As far as I know, there isn't anything except removal that will solve this problem.

Zithromax (azithromycin) is given orally (it comes in a powder which you mix with water to make 15mls of suspension). If you do go ahead with surgery, then you might be wise asking your vet if they can source this just in case, or will write a prescription.

I've had a similar situation where one set of teeth weren't growing at all, causing the opposing set to grow really quickly. As far as I know, there isn't anything except removal that will solve this problem.

Zithromax (azithromycin) is given orally (it comes in a powder which you mix with water to make 15mls of suspension). If you do go ahead with surgery, then you might be wise asking your vet if they can source this just in case, or will write a prescription.

Thats really good to know about the Zithromax, thank you, i will definately be asking about that. I guess i'll just have to wait & see what the vet suggests, just hope she keeps up the eating until then.

Back