• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Again, Vietnamese vet cannot diagnose, please could someone advise

chopsticks

New Kit
This morning, Maybel would not move from the corner and did not go for her food. She was squeaking a lot when when went to touch her and even bit.

I thought it could be bloat or GI so have given her a dose of smithcone and massaged her tummy gently for about half an hour which she protested about but gave into eventually. she has done two poos only, one a little long and misshapen.

She is no longer squeaking when stroked but is not moving around and will not eat.

The vet came and checked her and said he thought everything was fine but to be honest I don't agree. The rabbit knowledge here is limited.

Please could you pass on any advice as it really is down to me.

Thanks

Mark

Ok, was it pain relief you gave her?

Hopefully it is just a bit of gas, but a good vet would check for blockages etc :?

Is she drinking at all?

If you knew for sure it was just gas then the tummy rubs, syringing some cooled peppermint tea, making her move around etc would be good, but you need to know that that is the problem.

Is there another vet you can call? Or anyone else in your area that knows about rabbits?

Hope all goes well x

It really is impossible to give you an accurate diagnosis over the internet. The symptoms you describe could fit with a gastrointestinal problem, a urogenital problem, a pregnancy/pseudopregnancy...........................

Did the Vet administer any *pain relief*

What about fluids ? I would certainly want to make sure that *both* of these very basics are given.

Please do *not* continue to give abdominal massage if you dont know 1-what is wrong with her or 2- what you are feeling on palpating her abdomen. You may actually do a lot more harm than good.

If the problem is gastrointestinal then treatment would be likely to be pain relief, fluids, ascertaining if there is a full obstruction (which would be a *surgical emergency*), if no obstruction then the administration of prokinetic drugs to try to get the GI tract moving again, supportive syringe feeds. Trying to find out the *primary cause* of the GI stasis would also be important- so check for Dental problems, any other possible source of pain........

If a urogenital problem then looking at possibility of infection (urinalysis needed), bladder sludge/stones with or without renal involvement (urinalysis, abdominal Xray/Ultrasound, blood tests). Treatment depending on findings from diagnostics- pain relief no doubt *essential* in all cases, antibiotics if infection, fluids, bladder 'flush' if sludge detected, cystotomy if bladder stones, looking at options for medication if chronic renal failure detected...............

I am sorry not to be able to offer more help, but I would say that getting pain relief for Maybel would at least be something you could do for her.

It must be awful to have a sick Rabbit and no access to appropriate Veterinary Care :cry:

I replied earlier but something went wrong. I hope this isn't too late to catch you. First of all thank you so much for your response.

An update, I came back from work at lunch and she was the same. I gave her some smithcone and fed her some water with a pipette.

I just got home this evening and she has done quite a lot of large moist (but not runny) poos. They look like the ones they eat again, I haven't seen them often before.

When I opened her run she came out which is an improvement from earlier BUT she is still very distressed, if I go near her she squeaks and even tries to bite. The Vet has been today so maybe she is stressed from that but to be honest it is so opposite of her usual character I think there must still be an issue.

She is drinking water on her own, I just gave her another dose of Smithcone.

She is eating, not much but a little. a nuch of mint half eaten, half a small pile of pellets, a small amount of alfafa (we have run out of hay and we can only get more by going to Bangkok)

I have booked her in to see another Vet in the morning, French, I'm not very confident that they'll know much more , she will not like it as she'll have to travel on a motorbike/car which she hates. Could you tell me exactly what to tell the vet to do, this will be the best way.

I have some response to your email, i've written them in red.

It really is impossible to give you an accurate diagnosis over the internet. The symptoms you describe could fit with a gastrointestinal problem, a urogenital problem, a pregnancy/pseudopregnancy...........................
I double checked the other rabbit, definitely both girls, unneutered though
Did the Vet administer any *pain relief*
No
What about fluids ? I would certainly want to make sure that *both* of these very basics are given.
giving water with pippette and she's now drinking on her own. What form of pain relief should I give and by what method?
Please do *not* continue to give abdominal massage if you dont know 1-what is wrong with her or 2- what you are feeling on palpating her abdomen. You may actually do a lot more harm than good.
ok, sorry. other posts said that gentle massage would help. I didn't realise
If the problem is gastrointestinal then treatment would be likely to be pain relief, fluids, ascertaining if there is a full obstruction (which would be a *surgical emergency*), if no obstruction then the administration of prokinetic drugs to try to get the GI tract moving again, supportive syringe feeds. Trying to find out the *primary cause* of the GI stasis would also be important- so check for Dental problems, any other possible source of pain........
do you know the name of the drug and I can look for it. Should i give it to her anyway as a precaution? as far as I can tell her teeth are ok but I will ask the vet to do a fuller examination

If a urogenital problem then looking at possibility of infection (urinalysis needed), bladder sludge/stones with or without renal involvement (urinalysis, abdominal Xray/Ultrasound, blood tests). Treatment depending on findings from diagnostics- pain relief no doubt *essential* in all cases, antibiotics if infection, fluids, bladder 'flush' if sludge detected, cystotomy if bladder stones, looking at options for medication if chronic renal failure detected...............
I will ask them to do a urinalysis tomorrow.
I am sorry not to be able to offer more help, but I would say that getting pain relief for Maybel would at least be something you could do for her.

It must be awful to have a sick Rabbit and no access to appropriate Veterinary Care :cry:
Yes it is, we adopted Maybel to stop her going to live in a garden with dogs that were trying to eat her, other wise we would never have got another one! :)

One more thing, the Vet said he though they weren't getting enough natural light, seemed a little irrelevant it terms of current problem but I thought I should mention it. Thank you again.

one more thing..

she has done a lot of these very rich, moist poss now. Considering the fact that shes eaten little for 20 hours this would indicate the clearing of some kind of blockage maybe? what do you think?

Usually the first thing the vet needs to do is to rule out a bowel obstruction. They should be able to do this by feeling the rabbits belly.

A vet may prescribe some of the following:
Pain killers that may be used in rabbits are Metacam, Carpieve, Buprenorphine
There is a gut stimulant called Metachlopromide.
The liquid zantac can also be used for an upset stomach.

Obviously your vet would need to do some research if they haven't used those drugs before in rabbits.

Back