• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Home Grown Veggies Question? (For the Buns)

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
I've been growing a few veggies that we and the rabbits can all enjoy. My cauliflowers are ready, but I just wondered - if the outer leaves have had a lot of whitefly on and damaged from that, and also caterpillars/butterflies, are they still ok to give to the bunnies once well washed?

One of the white cauliflower heads had black spots on it, that look like little black fly eggs (or dead black flies maybe?), do you think that will be ok too?

I have a red cabbage as well that was doing great and hearting up nicely but has been destroyed by a caterpillar/butterfly/flies as it has holes everywhere, so will that be ok for the buns too? (In small amounts)

Leaves, yes fine, unless you've sprayed them with anything. For the heads, just chop off any parts that look dodgy and feed the rest.

Thanks Tamsin, no not been sprayed with anything, just a little bit of organic food (Miracle Grow) at watering times and thats it.

The white florets look perfectly healthy apart from these little flecks on but they look like they will wash off well so hopefully will be ok.#

Is red cabbage ok for buns, do you know? (I mean in moderation because brassicas are gassy)

I've a vague feeling there might be something about not feeding lots for some reason, I've not had a problem with a few leaves at a time though. It does turn things purple if they decide to wear it whilst eating though... if you're wondering why your white rabbit turns pink ;)

Ok thank you, and thanks for the warning! :lol::lol: I wonder if they have oxalic acid in like beetroot tops? Anyway I will remember to feed very small amounts - they all seem to be drawn to the smell of it in the garden.

Back