• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

GA help please

ElsasMummy

Warren Scout
Hello,

Elsa is going under GA for the first time tomorow for a dental. I'm quite concerned as she hasn't been 100% and she is old. Does anyone have any pointers for what I should do tonight/tomorrow morning and what to expect after the GA and dental?

She's been eating quite normally today but not drinking much.

She'll be at the vets from 8.30 until up to 5.30.

Thank you

xx

Hi :wave:

It's normal to worry, but some things you can do to make her stay more comfortable are:

Send her own food with her, even her own hay

Send her litter tray if possible, without washing her smell off (Blackie used to have regular dentals and would refuse to poop until he got home, and the vets didn't like sending him home til he was pooping - but when I sent the litter tray with he would poop there quite happily :))

If she has a blanket or similar (again, still with her smell on) send that

These will all hopefully help her to feel relaxed which will help recovery :)

Hope all goes well :wave:

top tips from blackberry:)

eric's the same - won't poo til he gets home so the litter tray is a great idea.

I feel really rubbish for saying this... but Elsa poops where she wants (ie all over the garden) so no litter tray! I can definitely see her not eating/drinking/pooping at all at the vets!

I feel really **** for saying this... but Elsa poops where she wants (ie all over the garden) so no litter tray! I can definitely see her not eating/drinking/pooping at all at the vets!

In that case maybe send a little bag of her own poops with her and ask the nurse to put them in with her so that she feels 'at home' :)

They will syringe her if she doesn't eat/drink, and give her gut stimulants if necessary.

Ask them about this when you take her in to put your mind at rest (write a list - it's easy to forget things when you're worried)

Also, make sure she comes home with pain relief for a few days (metacam)

Thank you for your advice and reassurance. I think I will take a poop bag in (at the risk of the vets thinking I'm crazy!)

Thankfully the new vet I'm seeing seems really competent. She gave Elsa a metacam injection at the consultation and she's already said I'll be going home with some. The price for everything (GA, dental, 3x radiographs to look for abscesses/root problems, subcut fluids, and then Baytril and Metacam to take home) is around £250, how does this compare to your experience?

GA and dental for me is usually around the £100 mark, sometimes over sometimes under. So with the radiographs and medication it seems okay. Maybe a bit on the high side but not too high.

Wishing you both lots of luck. I always make sure they eat well before they go in and send treats, food and hay with them. :)

Thank you for your advice and reassurance. I think I will take a poop bag in (at the risk of the vets thinking I'm crazy!)

Thankfully the new vet I'm seeing seems really competent. She gave Elsa a metacam injection at the consultation and she's already said I'll be going home with some. The price for everything (GA, dental, 3x radiographs to look for abscesses/root problems, subcut fluids, and then Baytril and Metacam to take home) is around £250, how does this compare to your experience?

With the xrays that sounds about what I'd have to pay - a straightforward GA dental for Blackie was £150 - £175 (and that was lasy years prices)

Hope all goes well today :wave:

Make sure she eats some food before you go to the vets, even if it means syringe feeding her.

Goodluck x

when they get home they usually seems quite quiet and rest quite alot. so leave food next to her, offer her favourites and leave all within easy reach. also offer a bowl of water.

hope everything went ok. x

Back