• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rudy had belly ache :( UD home

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
It's difficult to separate out genuine symptoms from panic with the poor little soul.

He didn't come to beg at me at 7.40 when I walked through the room which seemed odd. He did take a carroty off me when I offered it but dropped it. As I watched him he was 'laid funny' but then he often does - the number of times I've thought he had belly ache but was just imagining it...

anyhow, he genuinely isn't well. I had to make a split second decision as to whether to see if I could get it to go away on it's own and risk an out of hours call or see if the local vets could fit him in - they shut at 8pm on a Wednesday. They fit us in straight after 8 but it looks like I got some OOH charge anyway :( I'd have done 'wait and see' if I'd known. He's had metacam, vetes... ?? the morphine based one and gut stimulant. He said his gut sounds were very quiet but I have seen him eat bits today and behave normally.

Rudy had taken a dandelion leaf and a nibble at a few bits when waved at him since we've got home but is laid down panting and feeling very sorry for himself.

Feeling better soon vibes would be appreciated.

Last edited:
You did the right thing taking him in. With gut problems, "wait and see" just isn't an option. Waiting often means the problem worsens significantly and lengthens the illness by days (or even to the point where recovery is not an option).

Glad he's had painkillers and a gut stimulant. Do you have syringe-food?

AMETHYST

You seem to have so much bad luck with your bunnies' tummies!:(

Really hope Rudy is feeling better soon x

You did the right thing taking him in. With gut problems, "wait and see" just isn't an option. Waiting often means the problem worsens significantly and lengthens the illness by days (or even to the point where recovery is not an option).

Glad he's had painkillers and a gut stimulant. Do you have syringe-food?

AMETHYST

Thanks

Rudy has a history of bloat-type episodes, I've learnt to give him a little time as he sometimes have a little bit of trapped gas and it's like flicking a switch when he suddenly feels better again. I decided he'd be better off with a painkiller straight off but I wish I'd had an hour to play with instead of ringing as soon as he refused food.

Yes, they sold me some Critical Care but I'm worse than useless at syringe feeding, with Rudy the stress of trying will be counterproductive. It will be a last resort.

You seem to have so much bad luck with your bunnies' tummies!:(

Really hope Rudy is feeling better soon x

Thanks. Yeah, 7 / 8 have had stasis type episodes this year. :cry::cry: Rudy had them regularly at one point but hasn't had any since October so I thought we'd turned a corner but daren't say it in case I temped fate ... but he got it anyway :cry::cry:

Awwww, sorry to hear this Alison. :( Sending Rudy lots of vibes; I hope he feels better soon. :love:

Thanks for the vibes.

I've just got him to eat three dandelion leaves - though he looked like he wanted to bolt when I approached him. Tink helped him out with the strawberry and raspberry leaves then wedged himself next to him, between me and him, which I think meant, "Go away, you're stressing him, I'm looking after him now." :love::love::love: I'll leave them to it for half an hour. He was panting less too, the painkiller should have kicked in and *hopefully* he will be calmer.

Get well soon Rudy!
Can you wrap him in a towel to syringe feed him? RampantRabbits on here showed me how to make a 'bunny burrito' and it worked a treat for my usually wiggly bun!

Thank you so much all for the vibes.

I *think* he's starting to feel a little better. I've just spent 10 minutes with them and when I went over to them (he's been backing off from me so far) he moved forward to see what I'd got for him, not quite in full begging mode but looking more like his old self. :) I gave a Carroty treat to test him and he grabbed it.:love: I'll go out and collect some grass and other tasty leaves soon to try to encourage him to eat. He had a cursory nibble at some raspberry. He's laying down quite a lot but I'm putting it down to the vetergesic as I know it makes him a bit drowsy. Hopefully I've been spared the ordeal (for both of us) of syringe feeding him.

Thank you for the vibes :D

I hope that Rudy is feeling much better this morning ?

He was a lot brighter at 4am and I got him to eat some dandes and a bit of grass.

At 7.30 he's certainly improved and he's in good spirits. He was sat in a comfortable looking position when I first saw him and his usual routine on seeing me first thing is to start chasing Tink while I draw the curtains and they are both waiting for a treat by the time I get back to them. The chasing wasn't vigorous this morning but he ran after her and then came and took a Carroty, he pushed Tink out of the way, as usual, so he's definitely feeling better.

Next I give them a sprinkle of Excel while I sort out the greens. He might or might not bother with the Excel - he didn't :( I then gave them spring greens and neither of them bothered.:( It's not horribly hot in their room. He's doing kind of foraging behaviour where he's picking up odd strands of hay and plantain and nibbling so I'm not too worried at the moment. Hopefully hell eat more as the day goes on.

Thank you for asking after him.

Thank you for the vibes :D

He was a lot brighter at 4am and I got him to eat some dandes and a bit of grass.

At 7.30 he's certainly improved and he's in good spirits. He was sat in a comfortable looking position when I first saw him and his usual routine on seeing me first thing is to start chasing Tink while I draw the curtains and they are both waiting for a treat by the time I get back to them. The chasing wasn't vigorous this morning but he ran after her and then came and took a Carroty, he pushed Tink out of the way, as usual, so he's definitely feeling better.

Next I give them a sprinkle of Excel while I sort out the greens. He might or might not bother with the Excel - he didn't :( I then gave them spring greens and neither of them bothered.:( It's not horribly hot in their room. He's doing kind of foraging behaviour where he's picking up odd strands of hay and plantain and nibbling so I'm not too worried at the moment. Hopefully hell eat more as the day goes on.

Thank you for asking after him.

Try to note what he is passing out as much as what is going in. Noting output gives a much better overall picture than just noting what he is eating.

So poo size and quantity- are they harder and dryer/darker than normal

Urine- normal amount, or less and more concentrated (so upping hydration needed)

Fluid balance in Rabbits is so important. A very slightly dehydrated Rabbit will lose his/her appetite which, in turn, will slow GI tract motility, leading to further dehydration.......

Rather than worrying too much about him eating Excel, try to get him eating wet Veg, wet grass and edible weeds. If he will drink more water if a probiotic is added (Avipro Plus is a favorite here) then add some. Or a tiny drop of unsweetened fruit juice. Anything to maximise his fluid intake really.

Sending more vibes xx

Back