• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor Spenser - matted mane.

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Spenser coat has never caused him any problems until now, but when I was combing out a small matted bit I noticed a much bigger one. :( He sat very well to be brushed, and as he doesn't have a particularly good brush I'm sure it must have been uncomfortable. I will need to look into getting a better brush for him.

He got a fenugreek crunchie for being such a good boy. :love:

My Simba didn't have a massive mane but it did sometimes get tangled.

Didn't help that he was forever rolling in the dirt!

A well deserved crunchie for him-and I hope a nice cuppa for you!

I'm actually not sure he didn't actually quite enjoy the process. :? He was purring with his teeth as he does when being petted.

Actually I was in the middle of a particularly fine cuppa when I noticed the problem. :p It was lukewarm when I returned to it, but when you take it black that's OK. Whittards 1886 blend - a present for bunny-sitting for friends last week.

You and your tea :lol:

Lady has quite a fine mane, so thankfully hasn't matted yet.....but she does collect bits of forage food in it sometimes :lol:

Actually I was in the middle of a particularly fine cuppa when I noticed the problem. :p It was lukewarm when I returned to it, but when you take it black that's OK. Whittards 1886 blend - a present for bunny-sitting for friends last week.

:lol::lol::lol:

You and your tea :lol:

Lady has quite a fine mane, so thankfully hasn't matted yet.....but she does collect bits of forage food in it sometimes :lol:

Actually it was a bit of dried plantain stuck in his mane that made me look a bit closer. It kind of stood out on sparlikng white fur. :lol:

I'm actually not sure he didn't actually quite enjoy the process. :? He was purring with his teeth as he does when being petted.

i've just had a mug of pg tips 'strong' whilst plucking eric's bum if that's the same:D

Poor Spenser, I bet he is feeling better now, I have a long haired dog who needs a daily brush to keep her tangle free, I have a comb and the teeth rotate which is great for not pulling the fur.

i've just had a mug of pg tips 'strong' whilst plucking eric's bum if that's the same:D

Does Eric like being 'plucked'? I haven't tried that particular tea - will bear it in mind. I'm rationing the Whittards 1886 blend because it's not one I would buy for myself.

Does Eric like being 'plucked'? I haven't tried that particular tea - will bear it in mind. I'm rationing the Whittards 1886 blend because it's not one I would buy for myself.

he has no choice:lol: i sneakily pull out the loose tufts whilst stroking him - he'll sit for ages for that:lol:

I am glad to hear you have started preparing for our visit. I shall inspect for matts on Tues. :wave:

I love grooming mine whether they need it badly or not. Floppy looks like he has a short coat but it gets matted underneath, especially round his rear! It means that they are used to it when I help them when they are moulting.

:shock::lol::lol::lol:

our first lionheadish rescue bun called bandit had a fine but uber long mullet and mutton chops. he was so easy to keep matt free......UNTIL he was bonded and had been living with our first ever rescue bunny..bif..his wife.

i have a photo of nikki cutting the matts out..24hrs worth of grooming had done that!!

merlins mane always seems to be ok...not many brushes can cope..i did invest in a mini slicker brush..but its useless when at his fullest in his mane. We just pluck him like a chicken as combs and brushes dont do enough!:oops:

Sarge doesn't have much of a mane, but his chest is pretty fluffy. I can brush his back, sides, and head, no problem. He puts up a fight when I try to do his belly and chest, and he's starting to get some mats down there. Any suggestions on grooming an uncooperative Lionhead's fluffy tummy?

Sarge doesn't have much of a mane, but his chest is pretty fluffy. I can brush his back, sides, and head, no problem. He puts up a fight when I try to do his belly and chest, and he's starting to get some mats down there. Any suggestions on grooming an uncooperative Lionhead's fluffy tummy?

I've never brushed Spenser's tummy. I think the skin is pretty delicate there and you would have to be very careful.

I've got a couple of lionheads who get knotted manes. It's deceptive because the part you can easily see looks fine. I have to admit to taking the easy option and just cutting out the knots :oops:

Back