• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pippa with post-spay problems

FarplaceRescue

Alpha Buck
Pippa is a dwarf lop girlie. She was one of 2 from a breeder a couple of weeks ago, who said they was surplus to requirements and would go "in the bin" if they didnt find a home. I took them both, and Pippa now has a new home.
Shes had her VHD vaccine. Still needs her myxi one. She was spayed on Monday. The new owners wanted to collect her on Thursday.
Mon night she was very sleepy..... drank a little water, but slept a lot.
Tues morning, she was tired and didnt move much. I fed her but she ignored it. I gave her grass and clover, which she ignored. She ate a tiny bit of dandelion, and a mouth full of apple. Vet saw her at 1pm, but didnt have the right drugs available (she had come out to see a sheep with Orf). Another vet dropped off a painkiller at 5pm, and left another for me to inject today, but this morning, the rabbit was still not doing well. i took her back in to the vets, and they have kept her in, on a drip. Her gums are bright red, indicating infection. She is eating a small amount of greens. She is still on the drip tonight, and I expect to collect her tomorrow.
I very rarely have problems with spayed does. the last time I had problems was with a different vet practice, when they had nicked the cervix accidentally, and my doe bled to death before I got her home.
I have had to tell Pippas' owners that she cant be picked up tomorrow... but that we believe she will be ok.
Big big healing vibes for pippa please folks :wave:
pippa1.jpg

Last edited:
Back